cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house for cash and then after you own it taking a mortgage on it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a house for cash and then after you own it taking a mortgage on it?

I keep running in to cash buyers winning the bids on homes I'm trying to buy so my dad said he would loan me enough money so I could pay cash for a house but then after I buy it I would have to take a mortgage out on it to repay him. What is this called and how would I go about doing it?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Buying a house for cash and then after you own it taking a mortgage on it?

It would be called a cash-out mortgage. Rates might be higher on a cash-out.

Consult your loan officer for all of the rules and how this would affect your pre-approval.

Message Edited by DallasLoanGuy on 10-12-2009 08:23 AM
Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
kai_1103
New Contributor

FHA has some sort of 90 day rule, where the property can only have one owner in the last 90 days.  (I'm sure someone else could clairify that better)

It kept me from doing what you are saying.  So if you need FHA- keep that in mind.

Message 3 of 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

You know I have never heard of a cash-out FHA original loan. Cash-out FHA refis are common, but have a lot of restrictions.

I would contact the FHA or contact a lender.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances are, your dad would have to buy it himself with cash, and then you would have to wait until whatever waiting period ended and then buy it from him.  The added cost of the second closing costs would probably not make it worth it.  All the fees and such would add up quite a bit.  You would be better off to just submit stronger offers up front.  Most of the time I hear people loosing homes to cash buyers, it is because they are trying to bid in the same price range.  That just does not work.  Cash buyers can bid 10-15% lower because of the cash status.  Also, they put out tons of bids and often don't really care which ones get accepted so lowballing does not hurt them.  SO, if you are going FHA, etc...Then you need to put out a strong bid with a decent earnest deposit and reasonable closing terms.  Not 15% under list with seller paying all closing costs and a 500 earnest money deposit (not to say that is what you are doing, but it is not unheard of, especially when you hear about people loosing out on alot of homes).  I know the fight, we bought in a very competetive market (one house we bid on had 27 bids), but figured out quickly what was needed and got the 4th house we bid on.  Everyone wants to get the best deal, but that only works if you are willing to walk away or loose alot of bids first.  If you really want a house, you have to be aggressive.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.