Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house together with my good credit and her cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a house together with my good credit and her cash

I'm trying to get my arms around the best strategy for buying a home together with my girlfriend sometime in the coming 12 months (after we're engaged).

The background:  I'll be a first time home buyer with strong credit and earnings:  scores ranging 750 - 780 between my three scores (up from mid 500's 3 years ago thanks to much help from these boards) and an annual salary of 170k.  She is just starting to work on fixing her credit - scores all in the low 600's and earns around 45k, but also has realtively liquid investments in the low 7 figures from an inheritance.  We're looking at homes in the 350-400k range, which I should be able to qualify for on my own, but we would like to pull some equity out of her investments for the down payment.  

I'm thinking we could just open a joint checking account to use for a 20 - 30% down payment, but only use my credit for the mortgage itself (which we're both ok with.)  Is it that simple or am I missing anything?  And if this makes sense, are there any particular checking accounts we should be looking at?  Am I even asking the right questions? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Buying a house together with my good credit and her cash

I just bought a house and did it w/o my husband.  It's not a problem.  For FHA loans you can get "gift money."  I'm not sure about conventional loans allowing "gift money" though. 

I shouldn't have even said anything here bc I don't know the answer!  That's your question tho.  Sorry!  Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

You can do the joint checking account and to simplify things put the money in the account a few months before you plan on applying - funds need to be sourced or seasoned which simply means document where the funds came from OR  have it in the bank for a couple of months

The second is much easier - all you have to do is show the bank statements - if she is not on the loan and you are not married sourcing it could be a thorn.

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

got it - thanks!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.