Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new home and keeping the first one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a new home and keeping the first one

Here is my situation. I've owned my current home for almost 15 years. It's worth about $200k, and I owe about $80k on the mortgage. The payment is about $1000 per month.

As with the rest of the housing market,houses near the beach have drastically fallen in price to about 40% less than just two years ago. I've found my 'dream beach house' currently being offered at $429k which has been on the market sitting empty since November.  I have $30k saved for a downpayment, and would like to make any offer of around $410k for this home and making it my primary residence.  The issue is that I would also like to keep my current house to either just enjoy or eventually rent out, but don't want to sell it any time soon.  Other than the $1000 mortgage payment, the only other debt I have is $500 car payment, and no credit card debts or loans(all have been paid off).  My FICOs are currently 690, 692, and 717.  My current salary is around $130k. 

Will it be hard to get approved for a new mortgage, and what do I tell the lender about my plans for my current home, i.e should I tell them I'm going to sell or rent it, or the truth which is that I simply just want to have two houses that are 50 miles apart.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Buying a new home and keeping the first one

what do the taxes run per yr on the new home?

you simply tell the lender that you haven't decided what to do with the old home yet

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying a new home and keeping the first one

I live in Florida where we have a 'property tax portability law' that allows you to apply the amount of taxes you have paid on your old residence to the new one. My current property taxes run around $1800-$2000 per year. The new residence is about $4500-5000. We also have a homestead exemption which deducts $25,000 off the value of homes for taxation purposes on your primary residence.

I know my new homeowners insurance will be a lot more, since I will officially be in a "Hurricane Storm Surge Zone" being 1/2 mile from the Atlantic Ocean.  Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.