Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying after a short sale

tag
itzateach
Regular Contributor

Buying after a short sale

Shane or any other mortgage lender out there...is this true? I might go short sale but don't want to miss any payments,if possible. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am thinking of going this route.

Buying After a Short Sale

The waiting period is 2 years. However, if a seller does not have a 60-day late pay, that seller may immediately buy another home. It's a reason to stay current on your payments while the home is on the market as a short sale.

So if I am not late and we can short sale, I can buy immediately???

Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Buying after a short sale

I can't open the link that you provided, but I can provide you with this link:

Fannie Mae Announcement 08-16 FAQ

"Question 7: If a borrower has completed a short sale and was never delinquent on that
mortgage and is now attempting to purchase a new primary residence, will Fannie
Mae purchase the loan?

If the borrower is purchasing a new property and the previous mortgage history complies
with our excessive prior mortgage delinquency policy and does not have one or more
60-, 90-, 120-, or 150-day delinquencies reported within the 12 months prior to the
credit report date, the loan is eligible for delivery to Fannie Mae, provided the lender or
servicer who completed the short sale has not entered into any agreement that obligates
the borrower to repay any amounts associated with the short sale, including a deficiency
judgment."

My interpretation of this if a short sale is complete without a person being late on payments - for example, if someone relocates for a new job but their home has lost value - then it is possible to buy immediately, without waiting two years as long as the limitations above are met.  However, the short sale itself, regardless of delinquency, is going to have a negative effect on your credit score. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying after a short sale

I had a short sale in Oct 2008, and am looking to buy again.  My credit report reads "30 days late, 3 times (Aug 2008, Jul 2008, Jun 2008)".  So even though this was within the 12 months prior to the short sale, and more than one instance, because they are individual 30-day instances does this put me in play  for an FHA loan?  Or will they look at the three instances as a total of 90 days?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.