Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying first home on low income

tag
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

Re: Buying first home on low income

Here I am, webhopper!

I used an assistance program that paid all of my closing costs. I paid my down payment of $1925 with my $2k earnest deposit. The program was also suppose to pay half of the down payment but because my loan amount (53,075), interest rate (3.75%), and mortgage payment ($354/mo) are so low, they didn't.

I was approved with just my employment income estimated at $1200/mo. I do have other income such as child support, freelancing, and my child's disability, but I didn't want any of it considered since it varies.

I've been in my home for a month now, and even though I bought for 55k (contracted price since March), it is now valued at over 85k...conservatively. I don't think I've made a smarter decision in my life than going for a house when I did.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
Coldness
Contributor

That's awesome!

I don't know if I'd qualify for an assistance program like that or not, but I'm hoping I can save up enough for closing costs. 

My plan is to currently go with a 20 year fixed loan, or go for a traditional 30 year fixed loan and then re-finance it later on (or just pay it off early) if/when my income goes up. I'm going through a local credit union so I will be able to do so without any kind of early payoff penalty. 

Message 12 of 21
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you've done some research and you are being realistic in your search.  No reason to make rent payments with nothing to show for it if you can purchase and build equity.  I congratulate you on your efforts and the beginning of your new family.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 21
clipperskipper
Regular Contributor

My neighbor pulled it off, $242000 home, all paper on an FHA loan, he makes $20/hr, spouse stays at home. He also drives a newer Mustang GT.

Message 14 of 21
beb86
Valued Contributor

So how much was his down payment no way he could have passed the DTI requirements and it just sounds like a recipe for disaster..Of course unless he got it before the housing market collapsed because that was the type of lending that got people in trouble.. Just my .02

Message 15 of 21
clipperskipper
Regular Contributor

It's all paper-100% USDA financing, plus he workd for the Coast Guard, so they look the other way.

Message 16 of 21
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

He pulled it off, but can he maintain it?  I mean that much mortgage with that income?   It seems destined to fail.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 17 of 21
beb86
Valued Contributor

I mean in theory he could afford it if he has NO BILLS or KIDS and was single and super cheap and had cash reserves saved up
Message 18 of 21
Coldness
Contributor

That's ... more then I'd do, haha. Granted, a $200k+ house here is a 10 thousand square foot mansion overlooking the Illinois river (okay, maybe one of the smaller ones, but still...). Housing is dirt cheap here right now. But I'm looking at places around $60-70k with 3-4 bedrooms in the hopes that it'd support a family for a long time to come. The area I'm looking at is within half a mile from where I grew up, so I'm in love with it. Granted, the couple of houses we've looked at online / drove by won't be available anymore by the time I'm ready to buy next year Smiley Sad 

Message 19 of 21
Coldness
Contributor

An update - 

My debt's just about paid off - my tax return will knock the rest of it off completely with plenty left over for savings. My score actually might bounce up near 800, so that might help me to get a supplemental loan for a down payment if absolutely necessary. Needless to say, I'm getting excited. My mother has connected me to an old coworker as a realtor that will help me start planning/looking without charging anything. I plan to contact her once the debt is 100% gone in a couple of weeks. 

As predicted, the houses I really liked in our area are now gone with the exception of one (that has had the price go down 10k). I have a feeling there's a lot for sale that isn't listed online, though. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.