cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying new card affect mortgage chances?

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Buying new card affect mortgage chances?

We are hoping to get a loan and build a house next Summer. We currently have a car loan that is almost paid off. We are needing a larger car and had planned to get one in the next few months, but I am wondering if it would make more sense to do it 6 months before we apply for a mortgage or if we need to wait until after we get a mortgage. A house is our number one priority.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Re: Buying new card affect mortgage chances?

They will count your car payment as part loan making. Meaning if you don't make enough to cover car + mortgage you won't get approve. 

Give yourself 6 month's before  you apply for loan.

Message 2 of 3
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

Re: Buying new card affect mortgage chances?

I'm right there with you, we need a car badly. We have for a while, just keep doing little repairs here and there on the ones we have. Keep that thought in mind that the house comes first, I would say hold off on the car, and if you can't then wait 6-12 months after you buy your car to loan for a home. Like the previous post said, the car loan will add to your % when they calculate what you can afford.

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.