Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAIVRS (restitution)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAIVRS (restitution)

I am going through the process of buying a home and it is is the processing stage right now.  I am worried about passing CAIVRS for 2 reasons.  The first is my student loan which defaulted in 2001 however it was consolidated with Direct Loans in 2004 which shows in a good history since then so I am hoping this is cleared up.  The next is I owe restitution in a federal case that I was indicted in 2001.  I was ordered to pay restitution to a victim and was doing so up until September 2006.  However the payment was too large and I could not afford it at the time.  So I wrote to the courts requesting to have these payments lowered and I never heard back from them, but also they stopped sending me a monthly statement.  So I have no idea what happenend with it and they haven't called me or written since.  Do you think this is reported on CAIVRS?  Evertime I think I am clear with this loan something else comes up.  By the way, neither of these show up on my credit report.  I can't wait until this is over.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAIVRS (restitution)

I would think that you are okay on the student loans if they have been paid fine since 2004, can't say about the restitution. Have you tried contacting the clerk of court to see what the status is in their system?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would guess that you have to have that restitution paid in full or have 12 months current payment history for it to be cleared.  Not sure but check.  Just because they stopped sedning you the bills unfortunately does not remove you from the obligation I believe.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I am still responsible for the restitution even though they stopped sending me statements but I believe it is strange that they even stopped in the first place.  I thought the DOJ was on top of their game.  Smiley Happy  Do you even think they would report this on CAIVRS?  After I wrote to the courts, I never heard from them again.  You would think they would at least contact me.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if there is a way to check this or not. 
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you  mean check to see if it is on CAIVERS?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.  It would be good if there was a place to check (there may be I just do not know).  The only problem is that poking around may get you put on the list if you are not already....
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't there think is a way for consumers to check.  Smiley Sad  And you are right, I feel by poking around or calling the courts, that they will find the mistake of not pursuing it and put me on it then.  I guess I just have to wait to see what the lendor says. 
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.