Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN ANYONE REFI ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAN ANYONE REFI ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

Expenses are expenses, whether from depreciation or simple write-off. Somewhere along the line you spent that money regardless. Perhaps, when it comes down to it--after you buy your groceries, pay rent, eat at fancy restauarants (all write-offs for some self-employed people) you don't actually make enough to qualify for a mortgage. Sure a few years ago, you could get a stated income loan, but that's before all the people who couldn't actually afford a mortgage went out and got loans for million dollar tract homes in the middle of  nowhere because the big bad broker told them to.

I am self-employed and managed to get a FHA mortgage during 2008 and am currently refinancing (although, it's a streamline FHA.) My median credit score at the time was 697, which was just under the 700 needed for a conventional non-conforming jumbo loan. After a $15 medical collection was finally removed a month after closing (I asked for two years), my median credit score went to 720.I never intended on using a stated or a no-doc loan, and I didn't.

When I switched to the FHA product, I put 5% down instead of 10%, and used the money to remodel my bathroom.

I had several years of steady income from self-employment documented by 1099's and tax returns. I also had to show my current books and a couple of long-term contracts I hold, amoung other proofs of income. 

It's offensive to say that self-employed people shouldn't get loans because they don't have w-2s. The amount of paperwork required for a self-employed person to get a loan is huge compared to a W-2'd applicant. What it comes down to is that if you make enough money, there is really should be no amount of deductibles that should wipe your income out completely. If you make really good money being self-employed and deduct everything under the sun, you can still walk away with an adjusted income that qualifies you for a house. Luckily, my mortgage broker did not have the same narrow-minded attitude I find all over the internet about self-employed people. 

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAN ANYONE REFI ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!

The problem comes in because too many people who are self employed deduct alot of stuff that other people can not.  This more than offsets the whole health care part.  Alot of self employed people deduct as much as they possibly can and that makes sense short term, but if you are deducting a large portion of your rent/mortgage, your car payments/insurance, partial utility bills on your residence, and then the direct business costs you incur, it is going to cut into your income.  It very much is a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" scenario.  Alot of bad mortgage brokers and bad buyers willing to fake paperwork did ruin this for people who were self employed and wanted to do stated income, but as I said before, stated income was never meant to be a normal loan.  It was originally only for people with A+ credit and high down payments.  Most self employed people with high down payments and a+ credit can still get loans through local banks.  However, the everyday workingman with average credit looking for a refi or a 3% down stated loan can not now.  Again, these loans were not orignally intended for that and only got that way during the boom.  You can't be mad at banks for dropping the products that have essentialy destroyed their industry (i.e. subprime, 80/20, and stated income loans)     
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.