Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC offer now, but a mortgage in a year

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

CC offer now, but a mortgage in a year

I've been all over the place on these boards and I was tempted to check offers from AMEX. I've been offered seemingly lucrative offers on their Delta Gold (I fly Delta and earned over 150k miles the old fashioned way), I buy tons of groceries and the BCP offers gives me $250 back afetr spending $3k in 3 months. The other offer is 100k points on the Platinum, which I'd pass on becasue of the AF. But I'd love their PRG.

Do I take advantage of the offers even though I plan on apping for a motgage in about a year? Or just stay in the garden and not risk the HP and possible AAoA decline (which would be wishful thinking)? 

You should also know that my FICO EX score is only a meager 652. 

Help me understand what would be best for my primary goal of gettng a good rate on a mortgage in a year with the secondary being having a good compliment of cards, but ultimately always wanting to improve my file. 

**I did reply in the other thread and hope to get good direction on what to do. 

Thank you in advance. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC offer now, but a mortgage in a year

If your not applying for the mortgage for another year and those credit cards make sense for the spending you do then I would go for it.I had gotten a couple new credit cards 3 months before my mortgage and a $13k personal loan 6 months before and none of it was an issue.
Message 2 of 7
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Are inquiries and new credit less of an issue than I thought or will I just reap more benefits that negate the downside of th eHP and new credit?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It isn't as much of an issue as a lot of the members on MyFICO make it seem.

What mortgage lenders don't want to see is a big run up of debt before applying for a mortgage.  Doesn't sound like you are going down that road at all Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^^ + 1 million
Message 5 of 7
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I did it and got approved for both the BCP and Platinum!

Let's hope that the HP (not sure if it's two yet) was worth it in a year when I app for a mortgage.

I know the cards will be worth it based on my spending habits. PHEW!

Message 6 of 7
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I looked today and got only 1 HP on EX so far. Who knows, maybe that's all there'll be!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.