Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLASS ACTION SUIT WITH AMC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLASS ACTION SUIT WITH AMC

I recieved a form in the mail to collect from a class action suit with American Home Mortgage...has anyone else or is this a scam?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CLASS ACTION SUIT WITH AMC

There was definitely a class action lawsuit against American Home Mortgage.  I think a settlement was agreed upon a while ago.  Could be legit.  Did you receive something that looked like a court docket booklet with information about to be included in the settlement or how to be excluded from the class?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i did.  Im wondering if its even worth it. 

My situation is odd...they were my first mortgage loan ( an 80/20 loan)  they merged or sold me to CitiResidential which foreclosed on me.  Im wondering if these mean now that they wont come after me for the difference or could they sell this to a collection company and they come after me down the road.  I was comtemplating bk because there is a final judgement at the courthouse for 150k but if I could get a nice settlement then Im wondering if its worth it.

Message 3 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

You'd have to look carefully at the document you received to see what your share of the settlement will be.  It's highly unlikely to wipe out any outstanding debt.  Also, after the attorneys and the lead plaintiffs get paid, then the remaining amount will be divided up among the other members of the class.  So it may not be a big number.

With regard to your foreclosure, do you know whether yours is a recourse or non-recourse state?  If the latter, then you may not be responsible for any deficiency that resulted from the sale or auction of your home.  

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

recourse...i know my state has the right to collect.  Now the house was sold a year later for 18,400 and I owed 132K that was in 2009.  Shoud I have been informed by now if any extra money was owed by me?  Sorry for all the questions...this comtemplates if I have a valid reason to file a bk or leave it alone..
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering if anyone has heard anymore regarding this action.  I filled out my form the best of my knowledge. It did state a check would be sent out in the beginning of the summer of this year. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt persue it.  I was going to file bk because I have no sure answer that they wont come after me for the 130k they didnt get at the foreclosure sale.  The bk atty said not if I was planning on filing.  Let me know how you made out..

Message 7 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Typically the attorneys handling the plaintiffs will be able to provide updates.  I just went through a class action myself as the plaintiff and the attorneys were great letting me know what was going on.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 9
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

I did receive the letter, but I ignored it.  I think I have to now complete it and mail it back even if I get a check for $1.

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.