cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Assets be Considered in Payment Calculations for Mortgage?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Can Assets be Considered in Payment Calculations for Mortgage?

I've been reading some Freddie Mac guidelines (and probably getting myself more confused!). I may not be understanding it correctly, but there is some discussion about using the value of assets as part of qualifying for a mortgage (dividing by 360, etc.).

How does that work? Say a person has $200,000+ in savings or retirement. Can some of that be considered in your "income" to qualify you for a mortgage?

Some of us have saved a lot and are reluctant to take that all out and put it against a property. Can we keep it in the bank and have it help qualify us for payments?

How does that work?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Can Assets be Considered in Payment Calculations for Mortgage?

30% down payment required.  Need to be at least 59.5 years old.  70% of the vested amount in the retirement divided by 360 = monthly amount you can use.  It cannot be used for another source of income (such as dividend and interest, etc.).  Not all lenders will permit it though.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.