Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Qualify with Chapter 13?

tag
kdri

Can I Qualify with Chapter 13?

Hi Everyone!

First off - I've learned more about credit here than I ever knew in my entire life.  I think this data should be taught in schools...it would have benefited me greatly. 

Currently, I am looking to relocate from MA to NC.  My employment and income stays the same - however I do have a chapter 13 that I'm in my second year of paying.  The purchase price of the home I'm seeking would have a mortgage payment equal to or less than my rent in Massachusetts so I wouldn't be overextending myself in the courts eyes. 

Some background on the bankruptcy:  I filed due to back taxes and exorbitant student loans for under grad and grad school programs.  I never had any issues with credit cards but the ones I did have at the time of filing were included in the bankruptcy.  I retained my car and continued the payments - however that payment is not reporting on my credit report due to the bankruptcy.

Based on your collective expertise what do you think my chances are of a FHA loan with 3.5% down?

1. Mortgage Credit Scores:  

My Fico mortgage scores are:  EQ 658, TU 613, EX 621

2. Credit Negatives: If you have any, what negatives are on your credit reports. For each negative, please provide:

• Type: Chapter 13 Bankruptcy; filed 1/16 - all payments on time
    • DOFD: Chap 13 filed 1/16; no negatives since then
    • Miscellaneous
      • Oldest account at 13 years (paid auto loan)

3. Gross IncomeGross income (before witholdings, medical/dental, 401k contributions), per your IRS tax returns, is what is important when qualifying, not net income. 

• $105,000 (not including bonus and upcoming raise)

4. Source of income.  Where is the income coming from?

• Full time employment; additional 10K not included in gross from bonus

5. Monthly debt payments

• $598 (Chap 13 Trustee payment)
  • $488 (Auto Loan - about $11k remaining on loan)

6. Employment (for those who are employed). 

Type of employment: FTE

How long have you been on the job - 1 year

How long have you been in the industry/career field. - 12 years (no down time between employers)

7. Assets/ReservesThis is to determine how much you could potentially have as a down payment and also as reserves to help qualify (for example if your debt to income ratio is high this could help qualify you anyway).

401k - $10k

IRA - $25K

8. Location:  This is to determine govt guaranteed loan limits, what special programs might be available for you, how much property taxes & homeowners insurance will likely be, amongst other items.

State - North Carolina

County(s) - Craven

9. Property Description: 

• Single family; 3 bed, 2 bath

10. Property Value

• $200 - $250 K

11. Occupancy

Primary residence

12. Transaction Type

Purchase

Thank you for taking the time to read and evaluate my chances.  I appreciate your help!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I Qualify with Chapter 13?

wrote:

Hi Everyone!

First off - I've learned more about credit here than I ever knew in my entire life.  I think this data should be taught in schools...it would have benefited me greatly. 

Currently, I am looking to relocate from MA to NC.  My employment and income stays the same - however I do have a chapter 13 that I'm in my second year of paying.  The purchase price of the home I'm seeking would have a mortgage payment equal to or less than my rent in Massachusetts so I wouldn't be overextending myself in the courts eyes. 

Some background on the bankruptcy:  I filed due to back taxes and exorbitant student loans for under grad and grad school programs.  I never had any issues with credit cards but the ones I did have at the time of filing were included in the bankruptcy.  I retained my car and continued the payments - however that payment is not reporting on my credit report due to the bankruptcy.

Based on your collective expertise what do you think my chances are of a FHA loan with 3.5% down?

1. Mortgage Credit Scores:  

My Fico mortgage scores are:  EQ 658, TU 613, EX 621

2. Credit Negatives: If you have any, what negatives are on your credit reports. For each negative, please provide:

• Type: Chapter 13 Bankruptcy; filed 1/16 - all payments on time
    • DOFD: Chap 13 filed 1/16; no negatives since then
    • Miscellaneous
      • Oldest account at 13 years (paid auto loan)

3. Gross IncomeGross income (before witholdings, medical/dental, 401k contributions), per your IRS tax returns, is what is important when qualifying, not net income. 

• $105,000 (not including bonus and upcoming raise)

4. Source of income.  Where is the income coming from?

• Full time employment; additional 10K not included in gross from bonus

5. Monthly debt payments

• $598 (Chap 13 Trustee payment)
  • $488 (Auto Loan - about $11k remaining on loan)

6. Employment (for those who are employed). 

Type of employment: FTE

How long have you been on the job - 1 year

How long have you been in the industry/career field. - 12 years (no down time between employers)

7. Assets/ReservesThis is to determine how much you could potentially have as a down payment and also as reserves to help qualify (for example if your debt to income ratio is high this could help qualify you anyway).

401k - $10k

IRA - $25K

8. Location:  This is to determine govt guaranteed loan limits, what special programs might be available for you, how much property taxes & homeowners insurance will likely be, amongst other items.

State - North Carolina

County(s) - Craven

9. Property Description: 

• Single family; 3 bed, 2 bath

10. Property Value

• $200 - $250 K

11. Occupancy

Primary residence

12. Transaction Type

Purchase

Thank you for taking the time to read and evaluate my chances.  I appreciate your help!!

Hi Kdri,

FHA & VA are options as long as you have a clean 12 month paymeny history with the trustee & you have approval from them.

Everything else looks good.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 5
kdri

Awesome! My repayment has been spotless.  Thank you so much - just breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Smiley Happy  Now it's time to start the process!

Message 3 of 5
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

wrote:

Awesome! My repayment has been spotless.  Thank you so much - just breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Smiley Happy  Now it's time to start the process!

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 5
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Great job of paying on your BK Chapter 13 on time and getting your scores up. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about apply for either an FHA, VA or USDA RDL. We go down to 580 middle credit score so you will be fine! Best wishes to you.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.