cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I accept a pre-qualified card?? Please?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I accept a pre-qualified card?? Please?!

So I just recently canceled out my Optima (recovery product) Amex card because they wouldn't let me convert it to something else after more than 3 years.  Also... recently, I applied for a mortgage prequal... all went well, and we're house hunting right now.  It looks like for our situation, the best option is an FHA loan.  So... just today... well just about every day... just for giggles, I checked the AMEX prequalify page and finally I have an offer!

My question is can I accept it?  I mean, my middle mortgage score is 691 and even if it dropped a few points due to a new account and an inquiry, I still will qualify, right?  At least that's my reasoning.  One of my goals since my rebuild was getting a non recovery product with AMEX. 

What's the worst that can happen here?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I accept a pre-qualified card?? Please?!

No, no new credit while in the middle of a mortgage app.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea bad idea, if its available now, it will be available after you close, no reason to to derail your mortgage.
Message 3 of 5
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

What do you want more, house or credit card?  If it was me, I'd stick with the house and then check the amex sight after closing.

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 4 of 5
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

The worst that could happen is they would rescind your mortgage preapproval/approval.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.