Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I afford a mortgage?

tag
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Can I afford a mortgage?

I am looking at getting and forecloser home, that someone left off paying, I am wondering could I afford a mortgage? I have a truck payment of $245 a month and some credit card debt of around a $1000. My income is $22,078 a year and I gross $1696 a month.

Chase Slate Credit Card $1500 credit limit Best Buy Credit
Card $2000 credit limit Amazon Store Card $2100 credit limit .

My Fico scores: Experian 710, Equifax, 702, Transunion 716.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I afford a mortgage?

I think it's best to go through a first home buyers programs and see what they say, if you don't have a down payment they help out, plus foreclosures don't last forever and applying for a mortgage takes a while, and in your case where you don't have the full amount, you're more than likely better off looking for future potential but you have to have everything written out already.!
Message 2 of 8
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

It will be sometime next year before I try to get a mortgage, I would like to pay off my credit card debt first.

Message 3 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Can you buy a home where you live with a $500/month payment (including taxes and insurance)?  That is about what the underwriting standards would allow.  You would improve your ratios if you could refinance that car loan into a longer term loan to lower the payment.  If you can pay off the $1000, that would be good, too, but they are only going to calculate your payment on that at like $30/month, so the car payment is hitting you hard on your income -- it is more than 10% of your gross income.

It looks like you would probably need to find a mortgage of about $80,000 or less (payment is $393.55 @ 4.25% for 30 years).  Assume taxes at about $100/month (depending on your state) and maybe $50 for insurance?

Also, PMI would have to come out of that $500 payment if you need PMI.

In Seattle, $80,000 wouldn't even cover a down payment.

Message 4 of 8
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Around here in Montgomery,AL you can get a new 3 bedroom 2 bath house around $100,000 grand. I just got the truck loan in September.

Message 5 of 8
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

APPROVING BANK: Avadian Credit Union

BUREAU PULLED: All three I think

CREDIT SCORE: 712

New/Used: Used

YEAR OF VEHICLE: 2008

MAKE: Chevrolet

MODEL: SILVERADO 1500 LT WORK TRUCK

MILEAGE: 68,000

RETAIL/LEASE: Purchase

AMOUNT OF LOAN: $13,309.80

TERM CONTRACTED:72 MO

APR/LEASE RATE: 3.5

MONTHLY PAYMENT: $245.13

ANNUAL INCOME: 22,078
DEBT TO INCOME RATIO: Low

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CJIII29 wrote:

I am looking at getting and forecloser home, that someone left off paying, I am wondering could I afford a mortgage? I have a truck payment of $245 a month and some credit card debt of around a $1000. My income is $22,078 a year and I gross $1696 a month.   There is a bank who's mortgage department is located in Home near Birmingham.    With your income they can possibly help you and pay up to $4500 of your closing cost.    

There is a bank who's mortgage department is located in Home near Birmingham.    With your income they can possibly help you and pay up to $4500 of your closing cost. I sent the link to your inbox.       

Message 7 of 8
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.