cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I buy a house in a different state before we move?

tag
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I buy a house in a different state before we move?

well we  didnt really plan in a 10% down payment, so I guess thats a no go for us.  We only have about 5% down and we do want to live in the property full time and maybe for the rest fo our lives, we just dont want to wait another 2 years to be able to qualify for a mortgage Smiley Sad

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 11 of 16
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

where we want to move is only 3.5 hrs away Smiley Happy couldnt we commute?  lol

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 12 of 16
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Jess21 wrote:

well we  didnt really plan in a 10% down payment, so I guess thats a no go for us.  We only have about 5% down and we do want to live in the property full time and maybe for the rest fo our lives, we just dont want to wait another 2 years to be able to qualify for a mortgage Smiley Sad

Well after you get your new jobs, then live in temporary housing for a month or so while you are in contract on your new home, and then close at that point.  It's not as convenient as purchasing a home before you find a new job, but it's not as annoying as having to wait two years.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 13 of 16
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Jess21 wrote:

where we want to move is only 3.5 hrs away Smiley Happy couldnt we commute?  lol

Get one of those car/plane things ... and you're good to go.

Message 14 of 16
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

I was wondering the same thing as OP.  I currently live/work in NC and want to purchase my first home in VA.  Can I still use a first time buyer program if the lender considers it a 2nd home?  Also, how far is an acceptable commuting distance to a lender?  I'm considering an area that is 2.5 hrs away.  My plan is to be there on the weekends and continue renting in NC during the week. 

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 15 of 16
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@StartingLifeOver wrote:

I was wondering the same thing as OP.  I currently live/work in NC and want to purchase my first home in VA.  Can I still use a first time buyer program if the lender considers it a 2nd home?  Also, how far is an acceptable commuting distance to a lender?  I'm considering an area that is 2.5 hrs away.  My plan is to be there on the weekends and continue renting in NC during the week. 

Depends on what the first time homebuyer requirements are.  Most require you to be a resident of the state and they all require it to be your primary residence.  2.5 hours is usually not an acceptable commuting distance, but it also depends on distance... as sometimes the morning commute in Los Angeles can take a couple hours just go to 60 miles.  But if it's 120 miles then that generally won't fly.  You'd probably need to purchase this as a 2nd home, with the rent in NC being calculated in what you can qualify for.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.