Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I fire my real estate agent?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I fire my real estate agent?

I feel like my agent is not working hard enough for me. She hasnt shown me any properties since I contacted her and the property we put an offer on is one I found myself. I ended up contacting the sellers agent myself and was able to see the property, which she claimed she couldnt get ahold of the agent.  We havent even met in person.  She says she put my offer in, but is that even possible, can she actually do that without me signing anything. She never returns my calls. I feel like Im doing all the work for her, she even said it herself. She leaves her office for 2 days and doesnt even call me before like she said to give me updates on my offer. Am I tied up to her in  some way, can I just start working with someone else?  Also how long does it take for someone to respond to an offer? The seller has my offer and one more. Its been like 3 days. sorry for venting. thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I fire my real estate agent?

It sounds like she isn't even interested in being your real estate agent.  You haven't met her, haven't signed anything, why do you think you're obligated to her? 

You should interview some realtors in person, and consider finding an exclusive buyer's agent.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Im going through USDA, and they sent me a list of local realtors that they've worked with in the area and that are familiar with the programs, and she is one of them and the closest one. But I think I might just contact someone else. The fact that weve put an offer in already with her doesnt matter?

Message 3 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

You didn't put an offer in if you didn't sign anything.  What were the terms? 

Message 4 of 9
ficofreaks
Valued Member

1. You are obligated to a real estate agent when you sign a contract with them such as a buyers agreement, or when they prepare an offer on your behalf.

2. It doesn't matter whether they are the Seller's agent or another agent.

3. You will not owe any agent anything if you want to buy this house, since you have not signed anything at all.

I would call the sellers agent and see if there was, in fact, an offer sent by your agent on your behalf.  If there wasn't, I would tell your agent to take a hike Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Current Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
mizzshannon

I'm with the others -- Tell that agent she can 'kick rocks' as we say here in the south.

I had one like that at the beginning of the year.  We dubbed her "blackberry messaging queen", because we could never reach her in person or by phone.  Each house we found, we found on our own.  Real kicker is fooling with her and her slothfulness we missed the opportunity to even place the bid on 2 great finds!

I got a recommendation from a friend and she's been a true SWEETHEART to work with.  When I fould a home I was really interested in and she was unavailable to show, she provided the lockbox code so that Husband and i could 'show' ourselves, she wrote our offer up that weekend and then a counter offer within 2 days which has been accepted. All that's seperating me from my house now is an updating credit score (need a bump from 605 to 620.. wish me luck).  But my realtor is a breeze to work with! 

Can't believe the time I've wasted with Ms. Blackberry.  Fire her & get your Happily Ever After Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

I don't think firing her is even necessary - just don't call her.  Sounds like she won't notice.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You all. Thats exactly what I did. I didnt call her back. She sent me an email saying "she cant find anything within my price range and that she will be checking daily and if I find anything to let her know, and that everything in my price in our area are foreclosures and short sales which we cannot do".  Well guess what She lied!!!She said she emailed my underwriter asking about foreclosures and short sales and that my underwriter emailed her back saying no we cant. do.. I called my underwriter and told her the whole deal with this agent, she told me she hadn't even replied to her email about the foreclosures and shor sales and confirmed to me that in fact I can look at foreclosures and short sales..also recommended I get a different agent. All in all it seems like this agent didnt want to put in the work. I dont know if shes lazy or just didnt want to be bother because of the type of loan it is USDA, or its because my loan amoutn is not high enough for her.. what is it? idk.. Anyways,  moving on... I contacted someone else..hopefully this person is willing to help me out. Wish me luck.. thanks..

Message 8 of 9
mizzshannon

Good for you!  Happy House Hunting, Dear Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.