Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a USDA Loan with a 638?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get a USDA Loan with a 638?

Hello everyone,

Can I get a USDA loan for at most, $150k?  My current middle score is 638.  My wife and I have baby #2 coming 6/28 and we would love to be moved into a 3 BR place by then.

My credit cards were all maxxed out December 15th, 2012 with a credit score of 620.  I paid 3 of them down to below 40%.  The 4th one I was an authorized user on and had my name removed the last week of January.  I had my score pulled by Guaranteed Home Mortgage (GHMC) on Feb 4th and was told my credit score is a 638.  The LO said I need a 640 to get the loan.

Currently I have three credit cards.  A capital one with a limit of $2000 that I just had to put $1600 on 1/27 and is now at $1972.  I am paying that down to $0 by 2/15.  The second one is an orchard bank card with a limit of $300 that has $100 on it.  The last one is a Target card with a limit of $200 with $24 on it.  I am an authorized user on a Zales credit card that has a limit of $4000 and is at $687.  I make $40000 a year.  I am also currently paying $750 in rent.

Please help me!  You guys are great.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
slappymancuso
New Contributor

Re: Can I get a USDA Loan with a 638?

Congratulations on the new baby!

If possible, paying down those cards' utilization should get you the last few points you need.  The amount of home you are looking for compared to your income is pretty reasonable at current rates.  With what information you gave, I think you'd be fine assuming you have no big chargeoffs, student loan payments, car payments or anything really derogatory on your report.  Some lenders even provide programs and assistance when scores are as close to minimums as yours, so I highly recommend speaking to a few lenders. 

Try pulling your own credit report and taking that along, or better yet have the lender who already pulled it provide a copy to you.  Print that and take it to other lenders and have them use it in lieu of pulling additional reports.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
playboy
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

Can I get a USDA loan for at most, $150k?  My current middle score is 638.  My wife and I have baby #2 coming 6/28 and we would love to be moved into a 3 BR place by then.

My credit cards were all maxxed out December 15th, 2012 with a credit score of 620.  I paid 3 of them down to below 40%.  The 4th one I was an authorized user on and had my name removed the last week of January.  I had my score pulled by Guaranteed Home Mortgage (GHMC) on Feb 4th and was told my credit score is a 638.  The LO said I need a 640 to get the loan.

Currently I have three credit cards.  A capital one with a limit of $2000 that I just had to put $1600 on 1/27 and is now at $1972.  I am paying that down to $0 by 2/15.  The second one is an orchard bank card with a limit of $300 that has $100 on it.  The last one is a Target card with a limit of $200 with $24 on it.  I am an authorized user on a Zales credit card that has a limit of $4000 and is at $687.  I make $40000 a year.  I am also currently paying $750 in rent.

Even though USDA underwriting guidelines provides for scores lower than a 640, most banks are requiring the 640 or better be it for a USDA, VA or FHA loan.  So get your mid-score up to 640 and go see the people about a loan.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

Capital One... You are paying off... Stay on that plan...

Orchard bank... Make a Payment to bring balance down to 25 dollars as soon as you can...

Target Card.... Pay in full... As soon as you can...

Zales Card... Is the debt yours? or the card holders?...

I would pay the others off as I mentioned and you should have a decent increase. Paying the Capital One by itself may give you all you need to cross the 640 mark. You can just do one at a time and see how your scores improve. Just remember that you will have to wait for the accounts to update to the credit bureaus to have a change in score. Your LO can do a rapid rescore, they may charge you for the rapid rescore, its not really a common thing to charge but some do charge since it cost much more then a normal credit pull.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going through a similar situation, although not with a USDA loan. My loan officer is currently doing a credit rescore after paying down debt and removing disputes from credit report.  I  should find out the results in 2-3 business days. Please keep us posted on your progress,  your situation  sounds very promising. I would love to hear the outcome. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.