Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get a mortgage

This may be a hard one! My wife and I have just gone into forclosure on our home. The home was only in her name. I live in California which is a community property state. I know it is impossible to get an FHA Loan with her credit in the tank, but can I possibly get a conventional loan under my name only? Obviously I have to show our tax records and the home is going to show up? If I have to wait for her, how long? Is there a minimum time limit or does it simply depend on how long it takes for her score to rebound? Thanks ahead of time for help!!!

TU-703 Equifax-704

Salary $70,000.00

$6,000.00 credit card debt-no other debt!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Can I get a mortgage

If you weren't on the home or mortgage that went into foreclosure then the event of the foreclosure should not negatively affect your mortgage application.  Conventional financing does not consider if you are in a community property state or not when qualifying, so none of your spouses debts (including the mortgage that is still owing) would factor into your qualifying debt to income ratio either.  For your wife to be on the mortgage though, a 3 year wait from the foreclosure date would be needed.  You could also elect to use FHA financing for yourself, however if the current mortgage still has a balance on it the new lender will include that in your debt to income ratio, so if choosing to go with FHA you'll probably need to wait until that mortgage has been paid off.  USDA & VA would also be another option if you are eligible for either, but qualifies similarly to FHA with the community property state factors and all.  If you have to go with conventional financing, with your current scores, you are going to need 20% down as there aren't any mortgage insurance providers writing MI policies in California for sub-720 FICO scores, and mortgage insurance is required on conventional loans with less than 20% down.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.