Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a mortgage?

tag
Makin_the_Climb
Established Member

Can I get a mortgage?

I guess you can say I have been lurking off and on for over a year. I really could use some advice,

I just pulled both my credit scores from here today TU - 668 EFX - 667. TU shows  2 of my CC show I was late of 30 or 60 days late back in 2004 or 2006 I believe. and  an account for  Verizon (not really sure if this is mine) that shows as a ca but it shows under "accounts"  tab  and  not the "collections" tab. EFX shows 4 accounts as Baddies  the 3 listed above and another CC the creditor closed which is paid back in aug 2006. and 1 medical CA.  I am almost certain that the Verizon bill was created by an Ex boyfriend ( I probably left some personal mail laying around either at his house or my house that he helped himself to) since I have had a cell phone since around the time the Verizon account was actually opened (1997)

I would like to start the pre-approval process for a mortgage. I live in Florida  and am also going to try and get home buyers assistance thru my county.  The house I am looking into is only 65k so my payments should be lower the 900 a month rent I currently pay now. (according to the good faith estimate I got 4 days ago about 400 dollars cheaper)

I can pay the CA off from the medical and the Verizon accounts but I don't want to knock my scores down. Should I just start the pre-qualifying process and wait till they tell me to do something with the baddies?

I have a couple of CC that are above 50% usage of CL and a couple that are below 50% usage of CL. so obviously once I get the house I could pay my cards off in no time. I have a few thousand saved up for fees and things I will need to pay for the house and I don't want to use it to pay off all the credit stuff unless I have to. Please let me know if I forgot to include anything or if you need any other info! 

I gross 30k and only have 161.00  DTI which is all CC payments. 

Also Is it better to go through a bank or a mortgage broker??

Thanks in advance! 

Starting Score: TU 754 EQ 705 EX 680 (AmEx pull)
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 711 as of Jan 28, 2013 EX 680
Goal Score: 800 across the board with utilization down from 28%

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Makin_the_Climb
Established Member

Re: Can I get a mortgage?

BumpSmiley Indifferent Anyone?

Starting Score: TU 754 EQ 705 EX 680 (AmEx pull)
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 711 as of Jan 28, 2013 EX 680
Goal Score: 800 across the board with utilization down from 28%

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I know little about the mortgage process (though started looking myself), but per the baddies, I would work to get them off now. If your CCs are open and current, then I'd try to GW them to get the lates removed. Those lates aren't hurting that much, if at all, but your report would look cleaner for it. If a CA is reporting the Verizon debt (and not Verizon), then send a DV. If they verify and you agree you can send PFDs. If multiple PFDs fail, you can always pay it per the direction of your lender, but it won't improve your scores any. Per the medical CA, consider following the HIPAA process. That'll result in the debt's payment, would prevent issues with your future lender, and would totally bypass the CA. Google "HIPAA process" and follow it to the nail.

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Your debt to income ratio looks fine, and since the negatives are all 3+ years ago I wouldn't be too concerned with them at this point.  I'd apply and see if the underwriter says anything about the medical collection, since it's medical it is very unlikely it'd have to be paid, and if it needs to be paid then follow llecs advice about the HIPAA process.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.