cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a pro's take on this prepaid fee?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get a pro's take on this prepaid fee?

I'm supposed to close on a Georgia Dream loan (a first-time homebuyer's program sponsored by the state Department of Community Affairs that requires a maximum out-of-pocket contribution from borrowers of $1000 for downpayment and closing) next Wednesday, and was required to take an online first-time homebuyer's education course online, which cost me $50. I'm very anxious about closing on my loan and I've been reading everything I can in anticipation of something going wrong at the last minute, and I saw that the DCA'S Georgia Dream Seller Guide (for lenders) is online and have been reading it. As I was reading, I found the following paragraph:

"Any fees paid for home buyer education must be paid to a third party provider and may not exceed $100.00. DCA will not pay this fee and will not be responsible for insuring the fees are paid to the provider. This fee is generally paid prior to closing and may be shown on the HUD-1. If paid by the Applicant, the fees can be counted towards meeting the Applicant’s Required Funds."

I looked over the fee schedule from my lender and didn't see that I was credited for that $50 anywhere like I was for my earnest money deposit and appraisal fee so I emailed her about it (not mentioning that I had read about it in the seller's guide, I just asked if I would be credited for the $50 for the course since it was required), and she said, "I don’t think that counts toward your funds to close." Does the above paragraph make it seem like I should be credited that $50 toward my $1000 required funds or is it more like it's at the lender's discretion? I mean, I don't want to piss my LO off over $50 because she has been wonderful, but since this is a restricted income program to begin with and I am the sole source of income for my family, you can imagine that $50 is not nothing. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Can I get a pro's take on this prepaid fee?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm supposed to close on a Georgia Dream loan (a first-time homebuyer's program sponsored by the state Department of Community Affairs that requires a maximum out-of-pocket contribution from borrowers of $1000 for downpayment and closing) next Wednesday, and was required to take an online first-time homebuyer's education course online, which cost me $50. I'm very anxious about closing on my loan and I've been reading everything I can in anticipation of something going wrong at the last minute, and I saw that the DCA'S Georgia Dream Seller Guide (for lenders) is online and have been reading it. As I was reading, I found the following paragraph:

"Any fees paid for home buyer education must be paid to a third party provider and may not exceed $100.00. DCA will not pay this fee and will not be responsible for insuring the fees are paid to the provider. This fee is generally paid prior to closing and may be shown on the HUD-1. If paid by the Applicant, the fees can be counted towards meeting the Applicant’s Required Funds."

I looked over the fee schedule from my lender and didn't see that I was credited for that $50 anywhere like I was for my earnest money deposit and appraisal fee so I emailed her about it (not mentioning that I had read about it in the seller's guide, I just asked if I would be credited for the $50 for the course since it was required), and she said, "I don’t think that counts toward your funds to close." Does the above paragraph make it seem like I should be credited that $50 toward my $1000 required funds or is it more like it's at the lender's discretion? I mean, I don't want to piss my LO off over $50 because she has been wonderful, but since this is a restricted income program to begin with and I am the sole source of income for my family, you can imagine that $50 is not nothing. 

I would email the information you found directly to the LO so she can check it out. It sounds like it is something that you should get the credit for on the HUD.

BTW, don't ever feel bad about asking about all the various fees from your LO. I always check the HUD1's prior to their release to the buyer and bank approval. You would be surprised at how many have errors. Some small, some not so small. We are human and it is a good idea to have it checked. I'm sure the LO will be glad you found that specific section in the seller's guide.

Message 2 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I believe the $50 will be credited towards the required $1,000.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both so much!

Message 4 of 6
CreditSeductress
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm supposed to close on a Georgia Dream loan (a first-time homebuyer's program sponsored by the state Department of Community Affairs that requires a maximum out-of-pocket contribution from borrowers of $1000 for downpayment and closing)

I just checked out the website for the Georgia Dream Loan. In your original post, you said the borrower was required to put down a Maximum out-of-pocket contribution of $1000.00. I just hope that you understand, that's the Minimum out-of-pocket contribution required. You may still have to bring money to closing. If all credits (Seller Contributions), the Georgia Dream Loan 2nd mortgage (forgiven or unforgiven) and pro-rated taxes (at least in Illinois), don't cover the rest of the cost. You will be responsible for any excess payments.

I'm writing this, because people are often left thinking that once they've satisfied their Minimum Investment, that all other payments will be covered. That is not true, and hopefully your LO explained that to you.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your concern. My loan officer has been clear about how much I should expect to bring to closing since the beginning.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.