Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get approved with 0 balance Charge-off's on report

tag
Chinadoll
Contributor

Can I get approved with 0 balance Charge-off's on report

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research on this; but can't get a clear answer. I have 4 CC Charge-off's on my credit report with a $0 balance. They are all from 2006-2007. Two of my charge-off's say Payment after Charge off/Collection. I never paid them off but after disputing many times they updated to this status. The other two state Charged off as a Bad Debt. They weren't high balances either; the highest being $714. So; my question is can I get approved for a mortgage with these Charge-off's on my report.? Also; they report to be deleted in 2013 & 2014; but I want to purchase a home late this year/ beginning of next year.

The only other negative I have is a Collection account from a junk debtor (Main Street Acquisition) for $740. I have sent them DV letters and they never responded and I have disputed with all three CB's who came back as validating the debt. I'm still working to get this off. I have one CC with a $0 balance and no late payments. The rest of my credit is my student loans that are also in good standing/ no lates. My Equifax score is a 695. I'm not sure what my transunion score is at this moment.

Any advice would be appreciated on whether I can get approved for an FHA loan.

Thanks

Starting Score: TU 654 EQ 599
Current Score: TU 682 EQ 661 EX 688
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Can I get approved with 0 balance Charge-off's on report

fha does not require collections to be paid. and we approve people everyday with collections.

some lenders will ask you to pay them. just find another lender

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 10
Chinadoll
Contributor

Thanks for answering. Will the charge-off's hurt me at all? or is that a non-factor since they have a $0 balance.

Message 3 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

they are part of your credit history an will be considered.

the age will make them not very important in the overall underwriting decision.

apply with confidence

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 10
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

OP - I don't mean to highjack your post, but want to ask Dallas a quick question!

Dallas - you say that FHA does not require "collections" to be paid and that you often approve with unpaid collections. Does this apply also to "charge-offs" or are they considered different? I have charged-off SLs which I pay on monthly but there is still a balance. Even with high income, 640 score and some reserves, I have been told here that I'm likely unapprovable for an FHA mortgage. In your opinion, is this true?
Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 5 of 10
Chinadoll
Contributor

Thank you for answering my questions. I'm going today to see about getting a loan.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Charge offs and collections are the same thing for this purpose. A charge off, is just a collection they gave up on.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 7 of 10
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I thought so, but wanted to check to be sure. I understand that "charge-off" is just an internal accounting label, but wasn't sure if lenders saw it as the same.

They gave up quickly - it was only 4 months late!

Message 8 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i consider charge offs and collections as the same thing for underwriting purposes.

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 10
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Dallas - so you approve people all the time with unpaid collection (or charge-offs)? Does the amount owed matter? For example, do you just ignore the small ones or would you also be able to approve a high-dollar collection/charge-off that the applicant was paying on monthly?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.