cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I qualify for a mortgage with 2 open collections?

tag
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

Can I qualify for a mortgage with 2 open collections?

We want to purchase another house in about 2 years. Will I be able to qualify with 2 open collections? Actually it will probably be one-from Portfolio Recovery. I want to pay it but I don't want it to bring my score down when it becomes paid or settled.

In two years I hope to have all on time payments and possibly that one open collection. So would I even qualify for a mortgage assuming my scores will be at good and on time payments for the last two years?

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
nativenyer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I qualify for a mortgage with 2 open collections?

I spoke with an LO this past Thursday and I was told that all outstanding balances had to be satisfied  I have one unpaid collection that I've gotten down to $1200 and I'm trying to pay it off quickly so I can apply next month.

I would call the bank or mortgage company you want to do business with and just ask about the qualifications and process.  It was very helpful for me and I found out everything they are looking for, how long it would take and what I needed to provide.

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 5
fot1
Established Contributor

Message 3 of 5
HigherFico
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I didnt want to pay it because when I do it will make my score go down since it will look current

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 5
fot1
Established Contributor

@HigherFico wrote:
Thanks, I didnt want to pay it because when I do it will make my score go down since it will look current

Ask to pay it at closing, that way any score drop won't effect your mortage.

Too many to list..
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.