Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I qualify?

Hello,

I have owned the same home for almost 8 years and would like to use the repeat homebuyer credit.  I am not sure if I qualify because of the history of the homeownership.  Advice would be appreciated.

History info:

1. purchased in 2001 with ex-husband.  Both of us were on the deed.

2. divorced in 2005.  Had the deed quit claim deeded to in my maiden name.

3. got remarried and added current husband in 2008.  At this time  I also changed the deed to my new married name.  He has only owned the home per deed for 2 years.

The law reads that it will test the homeownership of both husband and wife.  However,  I am assuming that they are thinking both spouses would be purchasing the new home together.  If I purchase a new home on my own, can I then quality for the credit?  It seems like such a shabby deal if I cannot receive the credit due to a divorce and remarriage.  Help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I qualify?

I would check with a CPA as this sounds like a stretch but professional advise will make it clear
It isnt worth risking if you are wrong

B
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.