Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I send for my tax credit myself?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I send for my tax credit myself?

We qualify for the 1st time home buyers credit.

I am wondering if I can this all on my own or do I have to file the ammended form through H&R Block or someone like them?

How long should I expect it to take to get it back? Any suggestions on making it easier!

Thank you so much

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I send for my tax credit myself?

yes, you are perfectly capable to do it yourself.  If you have any question just call the IRS helpline (and prepare to be on hold for awhile)

As far as turn around times, I would not make any plans with the money right away.  The times are very up and down.  SOme people are getting back money in 8-12 weeks and others are seeing it 6 months later.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info.

Would it be smarter for us to have them professionaly done?

Message 3 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If you have any doubts about it being correctly completed I'd recommend you use a professional.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 6
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I would not let HRBlock rip you off by charging you outrageous fees for this.  I can't tell you exactly which forms or what fields on those forms must be completed, but we filed the amendment last year and it took about 10 minutes.  If nothing else has changed except for the fact that you bought a house, its a pretty simple procedure.  The details should be in these forums somewhere, if not here, Google knows.  Good luck!

Although you may want to check HRBlock's fees.  If they will do this for less than $20, it may be worth it, as that will pale in comparison to the $8000 credit or whatever it is now. 

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
nettie
Valued Member

I just mail off for the homebuyer tax credit on yesterday, 7/8/10.  During the tax season, I used turbotax to prepare my 2009 taxes.  I went back to turbotax and did an amended and it ask you a couple of questions and turbotax did all the calculation for you.  I simply printed the 1040X and the 5405 forms and atttached it to my HUD-1 statement and my lease contract.  I sent it certified with return receipt yesterday.   Since I used turbotax during the year, this service was free.  Good /Luck.

Nettie

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.