cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Turbotax to claim my $8000 tax credit on my 2009 taxes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I use Turbotax to claim my $8000 tax credit on my 2009 taxes?

According to Turbotax, you can file your taxes for 2009 AND claim your $8000 new home buyer tax credit, all by using turbotax.  I have read elsewhere that you can't use turbotax (or e-file) to get your new tax credit along with your 2009 taxes (fyi, I am not ammending my 2008 taxes). 

I don't understand how it would work through turbotax or any e-file since you have to attach supporting documentation to the 5405 such as purchase agreement, first page of contract, etc.   

Does anybody know the truth with this?  Can you or can you not use turbotax to claim your new home buyer tax credit along with filing your 2009 taxes?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Can I use Turbotax to claim my $8000 tax credit on my 2009 taxes?

No you cannot. In order to claim the tax credit on your 2009 taxes, you will need to file a paper return and attach all the supporting documentation.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cdtotten wrote:
No you cannot. In order to claim the tax credit on your 2009 taxes, you will need to file a paper return and attach all the supporting documentation.

This is partially correct.

You CAN use Turbo Tax when all forms are available, but you cannot efile.  You will have to print all forms from TurboTax and mail in to the IRS with all supporting docs.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

According to Turbotax, you can file your taxes for 2009 AND claim your $8000 new home buyer tax credit, all by using turbotax.  I have read elsewhere that you can't use turbotax (or e-file) to get your new tax credit along with your 2009 taxes (fyi, I am not ammending my 2008 taxes). 

I don't understand how it would work through turbotax or any e-file since you have to attach supporting documentation to the 5405 such as purchase agreement, first page of contract, etc.   

Does anybody know the truth with this?  Can you or can you not use turbotax to claim your new home buyer tax credit along with filing your 2009 taxes?

Thanks.

Turbo Tax is not just for efiling.  That is only one option.  You can also use the TurboTax service and mail in the forms.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ha!!  I did not know that, I always thought turbotax was e-file only. 

Does anybody know if you can fill out the 5405 on turbotax and print it out and mail it in as well?  I would think so . . . but you never know ;-)

Message 5 of 8
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I'm sorry. Based off the way he phrased his question, I thought he understood you could not e-file the return and claim the credit. Using turbo tax is not a way around this. Sorry for the confusion.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah ha!!  I did not know that, I always thought turbotax was e-file only. 

Does anybody know if you can fill out the 5405 on turbotax and print it out and mail it in as well?  I would think so . . . but you never know ;-)

Once TurboTax says the form is available, you can fill it out there and print it as well.  I havent looked in a week or so, but I think the last date they had listed it to be ready was 1/27 and then available soon.  It may have changed since then to give another def date.

Message 7 of 8
prettysf817

Actually...I used Turbotax early this week and it had the form in there.  I mailed mine out this past Wednesday.  If you are in no particular hurry...you can file your credit with your regular tax stuff (there is supposedly a four and a half month wait as of right now)...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.