cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my 401k to help me purchase my dream home?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I use my 401k to help me purchase my dream home?

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

borrow the funds from the 401k

the payments do not figure into dti

this is the est course of action for most

+1...  This is what I did.  I borrowed 8.5k from my 401k to help with DP and closing costs in January 2012 of 11k on a conventional mortgage w. 5% down, 3% sellers paid closing costs, 175k sales price.   The 401k loan payments did not factor into my DTI since it was secured by my own financial assets.  My 401k balance is about 50k and I'm 31.   I paid off the 401k loan in April with my bonus.  Then I took out another loan against my 401k and paid off my husbands dodge which he bought before our marriage.  The interest rate was 21% on that dodge... I would much rather pay myself 5.5% than pay Americredit   21%

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 16
thrillege
Valued Member

@webhopper wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

+1...  This is what I did.  I borrowed 8.5k from my 401k to help with DP and closing costs in January 2012 of 11k on a conventional mortgage w. 5% down, 3% sellers paid closing costs, 175k sales price.   The 401k loan payments did not factor into my DTI since it was secured by my own financial assets.  My 401k balance is about 50k and I'm 31.   I paid off the 401k loan in April with my bonus.  Then I took out another loan against my 401k and paid off my husbands dodge which he bought before our marriage.  The interest rate was 21% on that dodge... I would much rather pay myself 5.5% than pay Americredit   21%

Not telling you what to do. But at your age. And having that much already in there. You should have just withdrawn that amount to pay for a house. Not borrowed it. Buying a house is one of the reasons you're allowed to withdraw money from it

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thrillege wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

Not telling you what to do. But at your age. And having that much already in there. You should have just withdrawn that amount to pay for a house. Not borrowed it. Buying a house is one of the reasons you're allowed to withdraw money from it

This is terrible advice.  If she didn't NEED to withdrawl it, and could afford to pay it back it isn't smart to just withdrawl.  There is taxes on that amount that you immediately lose.  Having 50k in 401k is great, but it takes a lot more than that to retire.  Please don't solicite uneducated advice

Message 13 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My plan allowed for a loan but not a withdrawal. I was expecting a large bonus in march. I knew this would be a short term loan.... if I could have waited until march to purchase I would have. Unfortunately I could not wait. Besides; I have two homes. And it makes me sleep better at night knowing that I have a safety net. 10% of my income is currently being invested into my 401k. My employer also puts 7% in on top of my 10%. Another 2800 per month goes toward mortgage payments for my properties.

Believe me; I know very well how it feels to have NOTHING. Not even food to eat or to feed to my kid. I wont be there again. I definately wont deplete my piggy bank.

Personal finance is very personal Smiley Happy I trust my education and my gut enough to know how much risk I can tolerate in my finances and in my investments. So far I'm very happy with the results.

Also; you can buy your 1st house using retirement funds. I bought my 2nd house in January; not my first... so the withdrawal rules were not applicable to me without tacking on taxes and penalties.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 16
thrillege
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@thrillege wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

This is terrible advice.  If she didn't NEED to withdrawl it, and could afford to pay it back it isn't smart to just withdrawl.  There is taxes on that amount that you immediately lose.  Having 50k in 401k is great, but it takes a lot more than that to retire.  Please don't solicite uneducated advice

Actually it's not uneducated advice. It's a matter of opinion. You don't have to agree with it. So save your pathetic insults. It says a lot about you as a person. I've purchased two homes. Yes there are taxes involved when you withdraw from your plan, but if you're purchasing your first home. Knowing that a home is likely the largest purchase you will make. And considering we're only talking $8000. At 31, it's absolutely a good option.

Again, you don't have to agree with it. I'm sure if you talk to 20 Financial Advisors. You will get several opinions on this. Some may even tell you to do a combination of both. Doesn't make either opinion uneducated, right, or wrong.

Message 15 of 16
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

For ME this year would probably be a good year to withdrawal if I decided to do that.  I'm in the middleof adopting two children from CPS and I heard (but have not checked) that there is an adoption credit I could claim.  So its possible this credit could offset the 401k withdrawal tax/fine.  BUT the house I am "now" looking at (after I came to my senses regarding that "dream"home that popped up) - IF I WERE TO qualify for a home loan is $41,000 4 bdr 2 bath in the neighborhood I was wanting.  Nice brick home at an Unbelievable price.  Does need carpeting and some sheetrock work but has a new roof and good bones.  Buying a home like this would be a savings in the end. I'd pay less compared to my rent and it would be money going toward my own benefit instead of a landlords. 

BUT because a house note at this price range would be cheaper than my current rent - that means I could afford to take out a LOAN from my 401k and still be just fine with my monthly budget.  Pay back into my 401 and help build that back up. 

If I wait just a few months, I can pay down my credit cards monthly and use my bonus money & Income tax refund to purchase a home and NOT touch 401k money. 

so I'll just practice patience for now.  This also gives my current credit file time to age more.  I'm currently in the 600s with my credit scores but do have 2 baddies that are currently 3 & 5 years old. 

Thanks for the replies - it does help me feel better knowing that some do use the 401k money for the purchase of a home so I dont feel like a loser should I need to use it.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.