cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my 401k to help me purchase my dream home?

tag
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

Can I use my 401k to help me purchase my dream home?

OMG the house of my dreams just went back on the market.  Too bad I dont feel I qualify yet.  IS THERE a possiblity??

I could borrow from my 401k for home loan - currently have 30,000 not sure how much I can borrow. But my problem is that my scores dropped because I charged up on some cards and cant get them down until the end of year.  Unless I use some of my 401k money to help with this? 

I am in love with the house..is it a sign by it coming back up avaiable?  Should I give it a shot?  The house is listed for 109,000.  I earn in the 60s.  I do have two derogotories on my report that are from Nov 2009 (Auto repo) and 2007 (rental lease).  Too largef or me to pay off - but I'd be wiling to get into a payment plan if needed.

Can I do something with my 401k money to help??  I heard there is a different way of taking money out for a home loan compared to a regurlar loan so I dont know how this effects my DTI in the end.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
seemund
Contributor

Re: Can I use my 401k to help me purchase my dream home?

You could do a withdrawal for certain reasons, including purchase of first home.

This can usually be done using your account's website. 

Just remember: this is a withdrawal, not a loan. The money will not be repaid, and you will be depleting your retirement funds.

Message 2 of 16
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

it depends on your plan -- review your plan documents and ask your plan administrator. 

With mine, I cannot withdraw unless 1) there's a hardship (which is really not the case here; and 2) I take a loan from it first.  Even then, there would be a tax penalty.  I can (and may) take a loan from it, but the catch is that if I were to change jobs, I might have to pay the loan back in full.  Very risky. 

Yours may be different.  Some Roth 401ks, for example, will allow  you to withdraw an amount for a house downpayment without penalty.  But again, you need to check your plan documentation. 

Message 3 of 16
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I've though it through and will wait it out.  My plan does alllow for mortgage withdrawal and also loans but I think I'm going to stick wih my original plan of waiting until next year.  As I thought more of that house I'm in love with - it may not be what is best for us.   I get a large commision check in April and can also use my income tax return for the down payment and paying down cards to qualify.  Then at least I leave my 401k alone. Sorry, just got excited when I saw that house I've been watching come back on the market after it went into pending.  I think I'm staying off the home sale website until I'm ready so I dont jump the gun again.

Message 4 of 16
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

good for you.  I was going to mention the "falling in love with a house" thing, but looks like your head prevailed over your heart.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

From the research I've done I do not believe you can withdraw from your 401k without significant tax penalties.  The first time homebuyers exemption is for IRAs not the 401k program.  You most likely can borrow against your 401k without penalty.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

From the research I've done I do not believe you can withdraw from your 401k without significant tax penalties.  The first time homebuyers exemption is for IRAs not the 401k program.  You most likely can borrow against your 401k without penalty.

Wrong, all hardship withdrawls approved by your benefits management will be straight taxed at 10%.  If you take the money out and do not use it for its purpose(when you do your taxes don't have the new address listed as your primary), you will be penalized an additional 10% and the money will be taxed accordingly to your bracket

Message 7 of 16
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

borrow the funds from the 401k

the payments do not figure into dti

this is the est course of action for most

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

borrow the funds from the 401k

the payments do not figure into dti

this is the est course of action for most

+1, if you have available loan amounts and can afford to pay it back it hurts a heck of a lot less since you'll be paying it back with interest

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noones even asked for your profile yet. Have you yourself calculated your front and back end ratios?

Also cant you do a FHA only put down 3.5 and then put some of that 30 on yoru credit cards?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.