Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a bank force home improvements?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a bank force home improvements?

I'm trying to refinance my home loan with BofA.  At first they told me that no appraisal would be needed.  Then they tell me that it's needed after all since there was a misspelling in my address.  After the appraisal, they're telling me that I need to fix some wood trimming and my deck which has some rotting wood.  Can they do this as a condition to refinance?

If I decide to back out of the application process, can the bank charge me for any fees like the appraisal?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Can a bank force home improvements?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to refinance my home loan with BofA.  At first they told me that no appraisal would be needed.  Then they tell me that it's needed after all since there was a misspelling in my address.  After the appraisal, they're telling me that I need to fix some wood trimming and my deck which has some rotting wood.  Can they do this as a condition to refinance?

If I decide to back out of the application process, can the bank charge me for any fees like the appraisal?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes the bank can require you fix the deck as a condition of approval and yes you will have to pay the appraisal fee unless the lender agreed to pay for it.

Message 2 of 5
LisaColvin
New Visitor

You have to cpmly with the banks rule if you have signed some bond or else they can take any action.

Advertising link removed for violation of the TOS which prohibits advertising links on the myFICO forums

Shogun, myFIOC moderator

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, they can require repairs prior to refinancing. Rotting deck  means your deck and wood trim have either wood rot or some other "wood destroying organism".  This could be as simple as wood rot, dry rot or as complex as termites. The appraiser is trained to look for those items and the bank won't finance a property with rotton wood/dry rot or termites. Once it is repaired, then the appraiser would need to come back out to check to make sure the repairs were done properly. BTW, if there are termites, the lender will require that you treat for termites too and prove it with a clear WDO report.

If you go back and read your current mortgage you will see language that says it is up to you to maintain the property. So even your current lender can send someone out to check the condition of your property. That's really rare just to have an appraiser show up without a refi or a sale but it's perfectly normal in a refi or sale of the property.

Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

they certainly have the right to scrutinize the collateral on your loan

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.