Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can little or no debt be a problem?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can little or no debt be a problem?

So I just finished cleaning up my credit.  I have no debt on my credit report, with the exception of a secured credit card, which is kept at a low minimum of $30.  I have a good salary and been at my current employer for five years.  Will not having any loans or debt be a problem when applying a mortgage loan?  I read an article about a women who was denied because of this?  I'm nervous now.  Please advise. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can little or no debt be a problem?

I have also been cleaning up my credit and in the process of cleaning I was acquiring new credit ( or debt) also.  Good rule of thumb for every 1 installment you should have at least 2 revolving or charge account that are reporting also my wife and I have 4 revolving accounts that have low balances.  So what I am saying is that you should try to acquire more credit because USDA likes to see at least 4 active open accounts.

Message 2 of 3
oldtowngrill
New Contributor

Re: Can little or no debt be a problem?

I have the same issue, good pay, 4 years at same job.  I had a ton of collections that I managed to get deleted or pfd, spent over a year working on them.  I have a single secured card that's only a few months old.  My mortgage lender Wells Fargo said they build a "thin file" report which is where they contact companies that you normally do business with rent, cell phone, car insurance, utility bills etc. in order to get you approved.  Mine specifically was an FHA loan.

Starting Score: 655 EQ 616 TU
Current Score: 689 EQ 628 TU
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.