Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can resolved disputes lower your score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can resolved disputes lower your score?

My lender just put my file on pause to do a rapid rescore on four accounts that have dispute remarks on them. These disputes all ended in April/May and my reports reflected the score change then.

My LO said it's possible this rescore could lower my score. But I think that's unlikely. Input?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can resolved disputes lower your score?

It's my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) that when you dispute something on your report your score might go up because while they are investigating that item they do not count it towards your scoring.

I don't know if removing the dispute remarks could cause a change on the score since you mentioned the disputes were resolved back in April/May. Now I am curious to see if it will actually have any effect on your scores. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's my understanding too. The dispute is long over so there should be no way it can impact anything. My LO said sometimes this causes a score change but I expect that's because people applied with active disputes.

I guess we'll find out together.
Message 3 of 8
ArmyWifeMBA
Valued Member

I have Equifax monitoring.  It sent me an alert today that my dispute was received.  I also got an alert saying my score was unchanged.

My dispute was for a Paid In Full on an $1100 account.  By the way, my score had increased by 4 points two days prior with Experian as this creditor had reported the Paid In Full to Experian, but not the other two CRAs (Equifax/Transunion).  I had disputed with all three.

I am expecting the other two CRA FICO scores to increase too.  Not sure if my mortgage score increased or not.  I have one more creditor I paid in full.  I am also waiting for it to update.  The creditor said the end of the month.  I am giving it until Tuesday, if still not showing, I will dispute that creditor.  It is for a $4000 balance.

I am striving for over 760+ mortgage scores for the best rates.  Nervous that my mortgage scores won't show 760+ once report is pulled.  

Here are my scores with dates pulled.

Transunion: Score 8 (755), Mortgage (760)  9/1/2016; 91/1/2016

Experian: Score 8 (768), Mortgage (792) 9/3/2016; 8/23/2016

Equifax: Score 8 (768); Mortgage (757) 9/3/2016; 8/31/2016

Frequency is based on the individual monitoring pulls with Experian and Equifax.  Transunion give VantageScores.

Message 4 of 8
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Remove the dispute comments
Message 5 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

removing dispute comments does not affect score.

doesnt mean that something else could change and drop score. because after they remove disputes, they pull a new credit report. 

i have never had removal of dispute comments be a problem.... except one guy who lied to me and really had several open disputes cooking at the time i pulled credit.

i guess he thought he could pull one over on me.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 8
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I do know some dispute comments that remain once resolved can cause FHA to have to be manually UW-- I think it depends on status of the account and amount -
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, ran into this too. My student loans have a lingering dispute comment from when my student loan had a letter wrong in my name that was causing issues. I had to get a waiver from the underwriter on that, because even though FHA guidelines say negative tradelines, anything disputed is a red flag.

To answer the question, though... removing an item from dispute will cause the account to factor into your score, good or bad. Dispute comments themselves do not impact scoring if there is not an active dispute. The problem is that lenders can't tell if it is in dispute still or not when the comments remain.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.