cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can seller give me $$ back at the closing table??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can seller give me $$ back at the closing table??

Hello all :-)

I'm going FHA. If I request a credit for various repairs/replacements of things in the home, can the seller write me a check at the closing table, or do we need to lower the loan amount by the amount that I'm requesting back?

If the seller can write me a check, is it subject to the 6% limit that the seller can pay towards closing cost?

Your insight is appreciated!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Can seller give me $$ back at the closing table??

Not allowed at all

either

lower the sales price

have them cover closing costs instead

or

have them do the work before the close

You cannot legally get any funds from the seller on a loan

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, because I specifically asked my realtor if I can get money back from the seller for repairs. At first he said, No and then he said Yes.

So the seller is reading a letter from me requesting money that they legally can't give me? :-(

Can it be put in escrow?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the seller would have to do the repairs.  They may allow the seller to contract out the work and pay the contractors out of escow, but the house would probably need to appraise high enough to cover the loan without the expected repairs coutning towards it.  Also, I do believe thees concession would probably count towards the 6%.  Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in. 
Message 4 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

the lender may allow the funds to be held in escrow.

payable to a contractor.

you cant show up with home depot receipts and a sun tan and say you fixed it and get the money. you will need an estimate to give to underwriter too

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually there is a an option to get another type of loan that works with FHA for improvements to be made to the home after you close escrow.  My lender went over it briefly, saying that in the market where I live it would not be advisable because there are bidding wars going on and this type of loan generally takes longer to close (because it's government related).  I didnt press further but if you are interested your lender/broker should be able to tell you about it.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning and thanx for the insight everyone!! I'll see what the seller comes back with and then we'll talk escrow or maybe even lowering the sale price.

Thanx again!! :-)

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

you cant show up with home depot receipts and a sun tan and say you fixed it and get the money.

LOL!!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is the FHA 203K program, but sellers so nto like them and only certain banks will do them.

Message 9 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

you cant show up with home depot receipts and a sun tan and say you fixed it and get the money.

LOL!!

EVERYBODY is a ontractor these days....... 

Retired Lender
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.