Can someone explain points, please?

Subject says it all. 

THANKS!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can someone explain points, please?

You can buy down your Interest rate with points......

When I bought my house the Interest rate at the time was like 5.125%....to get 5% flat I paid about $200 to buy the point down.

Message 2 of 8
izliv
Established Member

Mel, thanks again for your quick reply...hopefully that will be the last one you have to answer for me todaySmiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

buying points is a great value right now. better than in the past, anyway.

give them serious consideration.

it is considered prepaid interest and tax deductible as well.... consult your cpa

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 8
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

buying points is a great value right now. better than in the past, anyway.

give them serious consideration.

it is considered prepaid interest and tax deductible as well.... consult your cpa

And interestingly enough (I'm sure you know this Dallas, but it bears mentioning in the thread), the points are generally tax-deductible even if the SELLER pays them (I believe there may be some exceptions).  I was a bit surprised when I found this out, as I figured that the two points that the seller paid would be deductible by them, not me.  The three total points paid by the seller in my case (origination + 2 buy down points) will result in an extra and unexpected 3K larger refund from Uncle Sam next year.

Message 5 of 8
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

I have a quick Q since we're on the topic..

Suppose a person pays 5 points which comes out to around 8-9k of avg purchase price, but they are already getting refund in taxes, do they get EXTRA 8-9k back because of these points or no?

Message 6 of 8
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

@SonorityGenius wrote:

I have a quick Q since we're on the topic..

Suppose a person pays 5 points which comes out to around 8-9k of avg purchase price, but they are already getting refund in taxes, do they get EXTRA 8-9k back because of these points or no?

Not exactly.  Points paid for a housing mortgage (including the originating point) are not tax credits (like the 8K federal housing credit right now is), they are tax deductible.

The difference is a tax credit gives you $1 back per $1 of credit on your taxes.  In the case of a fully refundable tax credit (like the housing credit), this can even reduce your tax liability below $0 (in other words, the IRS could actually pay you more than you had withheld for the year).

A tax deduction, on the other hand, reduces your taxable income by the amount of the deduction.  Since you have a smaller taxable income due to the deductions, you owe less in tax, but it's not a dollar for dollar amount - it depends on what tax bracket you are in.  If you're in a 25% tax bracket, you will save about 25 cents for every dollar amount of the tax deduction in taxes.  A tax deduction cannot reduce your tax liability below zero.  In this case, if you paid 8K in points, and you were in a 25% tax bracket, you would see your refund increase by $2000.

Note that a refundable tax credit is applied AFTER all appropriate tax deductions (this is important, since this means you get the total tax credit as well as the maximum refund you can get from your lower tax liability from your tax deductions).

Message 7 of 8
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Thanks SDE great explanation!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.