cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain short sale and buying a house that's on short sale?

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Can someone explain short sale and buying a house that's on short sale?

I'm looking at a property that's empty and on short sale. Presently it has 4 offers and listing agent is telling me Closest to asking price, largest down payment and least amount of tests?

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Can someone explain short sale and buying a house that's on short sale?

A short sale is when the selling price is less than what is owed to the owners lender.  It treated just like any other sale except that the sales price has to be approved by the seller's lender.  It will take longer to get a contract approved due to the red tape. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been waiting 3 months to hear from the sellers bank. The same property has been under contract twice before and at 4 months, both buyers walked because they ran out of patience. Most miserable real estate transaction I've ever experienced.

Message 3 of 6
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been waiting 3 months to hear from the sellers bank. The same property has been under contract twice before and at 4 months, both buyers walked because they ran out of patience. Most miserable real estate transaction I've ever experienced.

Th agent told me it can take a full year to close and she thinks this bank wants to foreclose. Are the credit requirements any stricter

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit requirements are the same/FHA anyway.

It is possible that you may be in the short sale process with one branch of the sellers bank while another branch is foreclosing and the two parties have no idea what the other is doing. If my deal doesn't close soon this house could be foreclosed on. The only thing that stops a foreclosure on it is that foreclosures across the nation have all but stopped until lender banks figure out how to streamline foreclosures after late last years foreclosure and robo signing scandles. Almost the entire realestate market in Las Vegas is short sales now. More available houses than in any time in history and you can'r beg somebody to sell you one. Absolutely discusting.

Message 5 of 6
BreezyWe
Contributor

So true strateup- my realtor told me last week that there were only 500,000 homes on the market and 97% were short sales!! Enough to last 1.5 months.... Banks are holding onto REO right now for some reason
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.