cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain the finer points of VA residual income?

tag
RoundAbout
Established Member

Can someone explain the finer points of VA residual income?

Does residual income just subtract taxes and social security from my gross income? My net income includes $640 in deductions for healthcare, mandatory retirement and a flexible spending account. The FSA is $208 and will end Aug 31 if it matters. Even if all deductions are included, I think we're OK for a $170k loan:

$4600 Net

$490 car pymts

$145 student loans

$269 credit cards

$308 (.14/sq ft maintenance on 2200 sq ft)

$623 child care

$1270 monthly payment (170k plus 3000 annual taxes, 2200 annual insurance)

If this is right, it looks like we have $1495 remaining, well over the $1003 required for a family of 4 in Texas. My husband's MyFico EQ score is 691 currently, mines only 662 but should go up as my reports are updated, bringing a few cards down to zero and my utilization from 67 to 59%.

Can anyone check my numbers to see if my thinking is on the right track and how this looks? I'm hoping this is correct as $170k would put us at 45% DTI since some of my husband's income can't be included.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Can someone explain the finer points of VA residual income?

4600 net?

is that after taxes?

residual income calculator uses gross and deducts taxes per pay stub

google residual income calculator

the top result will be a va.gov webpage and an excel spreadsheet will pull up

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
RoundAbout
Established Member

Re: Can someone explain the finer points of VA residual income?

4600 is after ALL deductions, taxes, insurance, optional FSA and retirement.

I've looked at a lot of the calculators I'm just worried I'm plugging in the wrong numbers. I've been going by the figure above but it seems it may be asking more for my gross pay less only taxes and SS.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.