cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain to me how "buy down" interest rates work.

tag
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Can someone explain to me how "buy down" interest rates work.

I'm dense so please be detailed. Thank you. Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Re: Can someone explain to me how "buy down" interest rates work.

Nobody can explain? Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can someone explain to me how "buy down" interest rates work.

I assume you're referring to paying points.  A point is equal to one percent of the loan amount.  You pay points upfront to get a lower interest rate.  Over time, the point "pays for itself" in the form of lower interest payments.

Here's a purely hypothetical example.  Let's say that you are getting a mortgage for $100,000.  The interest rate is 5% if you don't pay any points.  Your monthly payment for a 30 year loan would be $537 per month and you'd pay a little over $93,000 in interest over the life of the loan (assuming you hold it for the full 30 years).

You have the option of paying one point, which is equal to $1000 in added loan costs.  This brings your interest rate down to 4.75%.  Your monthly payment drops to $522 a month and you'd pay a little less than $88,000 in interest over the life of the loan.

A lot of people like to figure out the "break-even" point - the number of lower monthly payments that would be needed to recover the cost of the discount point.  In the hypothetical example above, that would be $1000/$15 = 67 monthly payments, or about 5 years 7 months.  So if you intend to stay in your home for at least this length of time, then buying down the interest rate would be a good long-term move.  But the point would add to your initial closing costs.

Economic purists will note that this is not the entire picture - there's also the opportunity cost associated with paying the point.  But I think you get the idea.

Message Edited by Lel on 02-12-2010 01:24 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.