cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get creditor to correct payment history...help!!!

tag
Katobie129
Valued Member

Can't get creditor to correct payment history...help!!!

I have been in a multi-month battle with Barclays.  I've been in a DMP since November 2010, and have made every payment on time.  Early on in the DMP, the payments from the DMp were made electronically to Barclays and were posted on time.  (Due date for Barclays in the 28th, DMp payment is the 20th, payment generally posts on the Barclays account the 23rd or 24th)

A few months into the DMp, despite the account being current when I went into the DMp and reamining current while in the DMP, Barclays transferred it to their in house collection agency, West Assett.  

West requires a paper check.  Only in February of this year did I discover West is merely a processing agent, not the owner of the account.  I immediately switched the DMP back to paying Barclays directly, and now actually pay both Barclays electronically and Wesy via paper check, both handled through the DMP.  

Throughout the DMP many payments were reported 30 days late to the CRA's, which we finally tracked down to the delay in paper check processing and in West's forwarding of the payment to Barclays.  This also caused many late fees to be incurred. They also had the account reported twice...once under the account number and once under their internal ID number, with different balances and different payment histories.

In May of this year, after multiple emails and phone calls and much research among myself, Barclays, West and the DMP company, Barclays reversed multiple late charges all the way back through April of 2012.  BUT they haven't changed the way the account is repoting, and it looks like I have 6 different 30-60 lates in the last 18 months. 

I gave my LO a copy opf my credit report from when I went into the DMP showing the account was current then, a list of all cleared payments from the DMP showing on time payments every months and a copy of the statement from May showing all the late charges reversed and returned to my account. Interstingly, the May 2013 statement shows my payment of $285 posted May 24th (minimum payment was $61),  9 different late charges reversed, and yet the May, 2013 CRA is reported as 30 days late, despite the April, 2013 CRA reporting as current.  I have gone so far as to involve the North Carolina State attorney general's office as I have been battling this with Barclays since February of this year.  I had put it in dispute with all 3 CRA"s and also with Barclays themselves to no avail.  They address the duplicate accounts but never the payment history in their responses to me, or they say it is "verified".  How in the heck can that be verified?!?!?  it's not right.

They have forwarded all of this to the rapid rescore department.  Is this something they will be able to fix?   Should I be worried?

Due to close Sept 30th. 

As a note, my loan was pre-approved.....30 yr VA fixed rate.  But in Loan prospector it comes up as "refer" for manual underwriting. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
smiths38
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't get creditor to correct payment history...help!!!

I just closed on a house on May 31st.Toyota reported me late 22 times since 2010.It all started with one partial payment.I told my LO about it from the start and gave them a payment history print out from the creditor and told them that I could also provide bank statements.LO took the print out to the underwriter and she waived the issue with the late payments.Maybe it helped that I sent the creditor a check for $8,000  to pay the account in full last year when I learned of the late payments and closed the account.The bank that I went through was very lenient.What is interesting to note here is that FHA's TOTAL SCORECARD gave me an approve,even with the 22 late payments and a chapter 7 bk in 2009.

Starting Score: 553(EQ) 572 (TU) 586(EX) (EQ Complete Advantage)
Current Score: 572
Goal Score: 640

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Can't get creditor to correct payment history...help!!!

Sorry to hear about your situation with Barclays.  Rapid rescores only work if you have a letter from the creditor stating exactly what is being fixed.  They can't use deductive logic by playing detective and reviewing multiple forms of paperwork to see the payments were actually made on time.  So Barclays will need to write a letter admitting that all of the payments in question were indeed made on time/weren't 30 or more days late.

The good news is that VA loans are manually underwritten all of the time.  Sure your chances of approval improve if you get an Approve from DU or Accept from LP, but they can still be approved even with a "Refer".  As long as your payment history has been clean for the past 12 months then you should have a decent chance.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.