Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you please tell me the difference?

tag
My2cents
Regular Contributor

Can you please tell me the difference?

What is the difference from a FHA loan and a conventional loan?

In this case 2cents is not enoughSmiley Sad  Oh well My2centsSmiley Wink

700 Club Member
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you please tell me the difference?

FHA is a government insured loan. If you default on an FHA loan, the taxpayers pick up the bill and pay the bank that services the loan. FHA loans are more desirable to the banks because there is lower risk.

If you default on a conventional loan, The bank takes the hit. This is why banks usually only go to a maximum of 80% LTV. They figure if you default, They will be able to sell the collateral much quicker at 80% of market value.

Good luck.

-D.Morris 

Message 2 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

@My2cents wrote:

What is the difference from a FHA loan and a conventional loan?

In this case 2cents is not enoughSmiley Sad  Oh well My2centsSmiley Wink

From a consumers stand point

FHA is easier to qualify for

Credit scores do not impact rateunless they dip below 620 - or 580 depending on the lender

3% down payment lower monthly mortgage insurance - they do charge up fron 1.75% for insurance but the payment is still usually less.

Conventional is better with 10% down - Needs a higher score to avoid rate hits - Mortgage insurance is a little higher

For most first time home buyers with little down FHA is the clear choice

For someone with decent credit and 10% plus down conventional makes more sense

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 5
My2cents
Regular Contributor

Thanks.   Additional question.  Can you buy a 310k home with an FHA if the cap on a FHA is 280k in your area even if you have the 30k extra down plus the 3% to get the amount financed within your cap for your area?

Thanks in advance. My2centsSmiley Wink

700 Club Member
Message 4 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Yes you can borrow up to the max if you can cover the difference you are fine

The difference would include your down payment so you wouldnt need to still come up with an additional 3%

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.