Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital Gains Tax questions...

tag
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

Capital Gains Tax questions...

Hi all! 

I bought a foreclosure January 23, 2012 for a great price.  I've put a lot of work into renovating the house and now we are thinking about selling.  As it stands, after my last refinance (I swtiched from a FHA loan to a conventional), I can make around $55-60k on the sale of my house.  

Well, my fiance and I havent owned the property the full 2 years yet to use the exclusion.  However, we are wanting to move downtown and rent a place near my work and her school while she finishes.  I would like to immediately turn around and buy a smaller forclosure, flip it, etc, then again until she finishes school and we move out of state.

Now my question is... can I avoid capital gains in anyway?  By purchasing, say... a $100k foreclosure using a conventional loan and putting $20k down and the other funds into the reno; will this eliminate capital gains since I'm reinvesting immediately?  I'm really unclear on how the capital gains tax and its exclusions work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital Gains Tax questions...

I would think that you would get much more reliable advice from a tax professional than from an internet forum in this case since your questions are tax specific. You are also going to need advice on not just federal but state tax laws. With the amount of money involved and the possible tax consequences a consultation fee to a local CPA would be a bargain.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 10
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I would think that you would get much more reliable advice from a tax professional than from an internet forum in this case since your questions are tax specific. You are also going to need advice on not just federal but state tax laws. With the amount of money involved and the possible tax consequences a consultation fee to a local CPA would be a bargain.

I think you may be surprsised who ventures into these forums Smiley Happy  I've had some stellar legal help from attorneys on here, even made a few networking connections.  If time comes that i dont receive a educated answer, then yes obviously I will go that direction.  Even if i do receive advice I always double check the information. 

Message 3 of 10
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Good to know. Although I have been told that you can't post anything on the Internet that isn't true.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 10
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Good to know. Although I have been told that you can't post anything on the Internet that isn't true.Smiley Very Happy

haha always double and triple check the advice  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

You need to make a ton more money on the house to worry about capital gains. People selling homes in the millions get hit by it.

Message 6 of 10
Elcid89
Contributor

@BrandonSS wrote:

Hi all! 

I bought a foreclosure January 23, 2012 for a great price.  I've put a lot of work into renovating the house and now we are thinking about selling.  As it stands, after my last refinance (I swtiched from a FHA loan to a conventional), I can make around $55-60k on the sale of my house.  

Well, my fiance and I havent owned the property the full 2 years yet to use the exclusion.  However, we are wanting to move downtown and rent a place near my work and her school while she finishes.  I would like to immediately turn around and buy a smaller forclosure, flip it, etc, then again until she finishes school and we move out of state.

Now my question is... can I avoid capital gains in anyway?  By purchasing, say... a $100k foreclosure using a conventional loan and putting $20k down and the other funds into the reno; will this eliminate capital gains since I'm reinvesting immediately?  I'm really unclear on how the capital gains tax and its exclusions work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

No. Your capital gain is calculated on your basis in the property. Rolling the profits from one sale into another purchase doesn't exempt the fact that the reused funds represent a taxable gain. You don;t meet the terms for a Section 121 exclusion, so you owe CG taxes if you choose to sell.

Best advice is to rent the property out, build equity with someone else's money and then move back later on for enough time to satisfy your 2 year limitation. The 2 years doesn't have to be consecutive. It is a cumulative 2 years out of the 5 years preceding (and including) the year of sale

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 7 of 10
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

You need to make a ton more money on the house to worry about capital gains. People selling homes in the millions get hit by it.

Where did you hear that? Capital Gains Tax hits everyone on income property.

Message 8 of 10
Elcid89
Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

Incorrect. ANY gain on the sale of property is taxable as a capital gain, UNLESS you meet the terms (both ownership and use) for a Section 121 exclusion ($250,000 single, $500,000 married joint ownership).

There are rules under which you can claim a partial exclusion when you have lived in the property less than 2 years, but that only applies to job changes, documented health concerns with the property or unforeseen circumstances (things ilke natural disasters, divorce, etc.). Even then you only get a pro-rated exclusion, and it is a great way to ask the IRS for an audit.

About the only way around that is a Section 1031 like-kind exchange, which involves investment property.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 9 of 10
CrBuilder
Established Member

I have to concur with Eicid on this one. You have to reside for the full 2 years to take advantage (the 2/5 rule) and th exludable amount would be as mentioned $250K SIN/$500K MAR. You would hit with CG dependant on the adjusted basis after renovation. 

If your plan is buying houses and flipping them, best suggestion is formation of an LLC, has great tax advantage. 

|Chase Freedom: $2K| CHASE SP $5K| AMEX (BCP): $4K| AMEX (BSP) $5K| Capital One Platinum: $3.5K| Capital One $2K| First Savings CC: $800 (closing this month)| Credit One Bank: $1,225.00 (closing this month)| BB RZ MC $1K|
Beg. Score: 589
Curent Score: 709 (09/06/2013)
Goal: 720
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.