Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car/Mortgage Lenders

tag
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Car/Mortgage Lenders

I'm thinking about going to the lender that financed my car to ask for a mortgage loan. My car was paid off last year. I had a couple of late payments with them but I paid everything off.

Question: Will a lender be more willing to give a mortgage since you paid off a previous loan with them? Even if you don't have great credit and can explain some situations?

I tried other lenders last year and got denied. My scores are higher now and I thought I would fare better going to the lender I had a loan with before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Car/Mortgage Lenders

The answer will depend on what they do with their loans. 

If they sell them off, then nope, your payment history with that lender won't affect their decision anymore than if that same payment history was with another creditor... they would be bound by the constraints & guideilnes of the end investor and the "master guidelines" for the particular loan program you are qualifying for.  If they portfolio them, meaning they retain them and do not sell them on the secondary market, then your personal credit history with them would speak volumes as it's usually a much more "common sense" underwriting approach in that situation.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.