Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash in hand vs increasing credit card debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash in hand vs increasing credit card debt

So I'm prequalified on a loan, and currently my agent is trying to get more for closing out of a fairly tight-fisted seller, though we're not sure how it's going to go.

My middle score is 711, not great, not terrible. I have 3 credit cards, 2 with 2.5k limits and one with 18.5k. When my score got pulled I only had one $21 statement on one card, which is pretty common for me. Needless to say, my utilization is nonexistant and I don't have any other debts or installment loans, etc.

My question is, would I be better, in the coming weeks, putting some of my daily expenses (gas, groceries) on my cards and keep my cash in hand, in case things become a little tight in closing and with downpayment and escrow? Obviously I like the sound of even an extra $1k in cash in hand, even if that means it's new debt on my biggest card, because I could pay it off later when everything is settled. I don't really use my credit cards as credit.

Or, on the other hand, will something like that be enough to raise brows at the time for underwriting?

I intend to ask my lender the same question, but just wanted to see what everyone here thought. I can always pay off my very low interest credit card eventually later on, but I can't pull cash out of thin air, so I'm not sure the best way to proceed.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Cash in hand vs increasing credit card debt

Cash in hand is best.

If the u/w doesn't like the extra $1000 on your balance you can show the extra $1000 in your bank account and pay it off if necessary (don't think it would be).

Having said that - don't run out and buy anything. Don't apply for new credit.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right- definitely not opening any new credit, and not even making any 'new' purchases. I've budgeted pretty hard as is, so the items going on the card would only be my unavoidably weekly expenses- gas and groceries, really. I have just read so much super strict advice on not charging anything to your card at all as you're approaching closing that I don't want to undermine it, but I started to get the impression that was more for large utilization rates.

And the equivalent cash, as you suggested, wouldn't be gone, it would simply be sitting in my checking instead.

Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

not a bad strategy.

no red flags

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.