Cell phone carrier credit pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cell phone carrier credit pull

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Lemmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We're going to try possibly as early as this June. Maybe staying with att for now would be the best idea. Sounds like conflicting opinions on this one

...look at a no contract plan ...I dropped ATT after hurricane Wilma because they took weeks longer than other carriers to fully restore service in my area ...much better service in the areas that matter to us ...the bottom line though is that my total costs are much lower than they were with either Verizon or ATT ...went no contract when they first offered the plan and been very happy with it 

You might be in my area...I remember Hurricane Wilma all too well....

Back to the point of this thread - there will be some phone and other services that have HPs and some will be soft pulls. In any event, the lender is not going to think anything of it at all. Worst case is you have to provide a LOE if it is during your mortgage approval process.

A mortgage lender gets worried if you are running up debt, not if you are making application for services for the new home (power, water, cable etc) or other normal day-to-day services (phone or internet).

Thank you. Hopefully since  have at least a min of 5 months before starting the process it should be ok. I think I'll take the risk!

Message 21 of 25
Peter1142
Established Contributor

I can't imagine a single hard pull making or breaking your app, nevermind in 5 months. But it does sound like you should avoid T-Mobile Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 25
kjel
Established Contributor

@Lemmus wrote:

...T-Mobile did a hard pull on my account 2 weeks ago even though the salesman swore it would be a soft pull ...doubt he knew the difference ...but it did show on all three CRs as a hard pull by a utility Smiley Mad

Same here back in July.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kjel wrote:

@Lemmus wrote:

...T-Mobile did a hard pull on my account 2 weeks ago even though the salesman swore it would be a soft pull ...doubt he knew the difference ...but it did show on all three CRs as a hard pull by a utility Smiley Mad

Same here back in July.

T mobile was one I was considering. That stinks!

Message 24 of 25
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Irishforme wrote:

T mobile was one I was considering. That stinks!

...yes, it does ...but as the cell phones become much more expensive as well as the data charges, I can't really blame them ...and the hard pull is probably a necessity for them now ...my only gripe was the sales guy misleading me about it ...I've had good service with T-Mobile for years now and their rates (I use the Wal-Mart no-contract plan) and coverage are better than most 

...as others have said, I seriously doubt that a utility pull will have any effect on your mortgage app ...but you now know what to expect and I'd be very surprised if its just T-Mobile doing it ...the other carriers have the same growing credit liabilities and I would think the CRAs would insist on hard pulls where credit risk is a factor ...good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.