Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenging an Appraisal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Challenging an Appraisal

Anyone have experience with this?  From what I understand our lender wanted a second appraisal and it came in at $5,000 less than what we were approved to borrow.  So our broker challenged the appraisal.  He is optimistic but I couldn't find much info regarding this on the web.  I know the second appraiser is from a different state so they didn't actually go into the home.  I guess this would be the reason for the challenge.  Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Challenging an Appraisal

In order to challenge the value of an appraisal that the lender independently obtains, more information needs to be provided than what was on the appraisal report in question.  The lender chosen appraiser probably wasn't aware of any interior upgrades (if any) since they didn't go in, and that could be the basis of the challenge.  Since each situation is specific, your loan officer would have the best info as to what is being challenged, what new information is being provided, and what the exact procedure/time frame is.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.