Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chance at a USDA loan?

tag
jbu723
Established Member

Chance at a USDA loan?

My husband and I are beginning the home buying process. We are interested in obtaining a USDA loan. We are both students. My husband is a full-time student and I am a part-time student. We gross about 2000 per month. We are also currently paying about $645 a month in rent. I have a car payment that is $269 a month and a personal loan that will be paid on next June that is $145 a month. Our credit is clear. We have perfect payment history. My credit is around a 670 and his is around a 700. My mom has offered to co-sign with us if needed. She makes $52,000 a year and her credit score is 634. My major concern is the debt to income ratio. With our income alone the amount we want to spend would put us at about 50%. We have no problem paying our rent/bills without any assistance but I don't know if the lender will consider that. We are wanting to spend between $75,000 - $90,000 which will end up being similar to what we pay in rent. We have two credit cards with balances. Both around 60% utilization. The other cards we have carry no balances. Do you think we have a shot at getting approved? What are your thoughts on debt to income ratios and how lenders look at that?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chance at a USDA loan?

It is definitely worth looking into. If anything, they may want you to pay down your credit cards a little bit. We just finished with our USDA loan and I think it is a great program. I think you need to find a really good USDA loan officer and they can let you know where you stand and what your options are on receiving the loan.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chance at a USDA loan?

Get your dti down below 45% total and you should be good if your mid score is that good.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.