Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of qualifying for USDA guaranteed home loan

tag
jg1983
Regular Contributor

Chances of qualifying for USDA guaranteed home loan

I applied for the USDA direct loan today and was told my income is too high but I was told to look into the guaranteed home loan program. I am wondering a few things. Will I qualify based on my income and credit? How do I go about choosing a lender as there is a large list of approved lenders to choose from? Will they want to run my wife's credit along with mine? She just immigrated to the US back in February so if they pull her credit it might be an issue as she has none. Here is some information to help determine if I qualify:

Annual income combined from my wife and I: $67000
DTI: 20%
FICO Scores: Ex: 625 Eq: 595 TU: 631
Credit Utilization: 77% (I know not good. I'm working on getting it lower)
Negatives: 30 day late payment on car loan 14 months ago, no others.

Let me know if you need more info to determine if I might qualify.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of qualifying for USDA guaranteed home loan

I think it also varies by state and county. The link to elegibility directs you to a PDF with the limits for all of the different states and county limits

https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/single-family-housing-guaranteed-loan-program

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can get your middle score above 640 you will have a much much easier time as documentation changes.
Message 3 of 16
jg1983
Regular Contributor

I thought I read somewhere a middle score above 620 is sufficient but I could be wrong. As far as making things easier that would be nice but my current lease is until April so I'm not in a hurry. I'm more concerned about how they will consider my high credit utilization and if they will run my wife's credit and how they will consider that. Also how do I go about finding decent lender that understands how the USDA process works from the list of approved lenders?
Message 4 of 16
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

^

My advice would be to continue reducing your utilization ratio and then find yourself a Licensed Mortgage Loan Originator in your state and / or have a conversation with a couple on THAT list until you find one that you feel confidently can get your loan closed. 

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

A. Acceptable Credit Scores for Manually Underwritten Loans
Underwriting manually with validated credit scores. The lender must perform a detailed review of all aspects of the applicant’s credit history. Credit scores will be utilized to underwrite manually underwritten loans. Applicants with validated credit scores (See Section 10.5 of this Chapter) of 640 or greater meet the minimum credit reputation provided indicators of unacceptable credit, as addressed below, are not present in the applicant’s credit file. The presence of collections, charge-offs, judgments, disputed accounts, authorized user tradelines and payment shock in the credit analysis, as described in this Chapter, may require further evaluation and documentation by the lender.
Refer to Attachment 10-B and Section 10.8 for guidance when considering granting an exception for extenuating circumstances to the credit standards set forth in this Chapter.
Determining the credit score for manual underwriting.
 If the applicant’s credit report has three scores, the middle score should be used as the representative score.
(03-09-16) SPECIAL PN 10-11
 If the applicant has two scores, the lower of the two should be used as the representative score.
 If the applicant has a repeating score, that score will be utilized.
 If the applicant has one score, a NTMCR must be developed for manually
underwritten loans. Each applicant must be evaluated separately.
Indicators of unacceptable credit. The following indicators require documentation meeting the criteria of Section 10.8 to approve an applicant’s loan request for manually underwritten loans:
 Foreclosure within 3 years:
 Including pre-foreclosure activity, such as a pre-foreclosure sale or short sale
in the previous 3 years (refer to Attachment 10-B for additional guidance);
 Bankruptcy within 3 years:
 Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged in the previous 3 years;
 An elapsed period of less than 3 years, but not less than 12 months, may be acceptable if the applicant meets the criteria of Section 10.8 of this Chapter.
 Chapter 13 bankruptcy that has yet to complete repayment (repayment plan in progress) or has completed payment in the most recent 12 months.
 Plans that are completed for 12 months or greater do not require a credit exception in accordance with Section 10.8;
 Late mortgage payments if any mortgage trade line during the most recent 12 months shows 1 or more late payments of greater than 30 days.
 Late rent payments paid 30 or more days late within the last 12 months.
Lender actions when indicators of unacceptable credit are present on manually underwritten loans. When indicators of unacceptable credit are present and the lender proposes to approve a credit exception, the lender will refer to Section 10.8 of this Chapter to determine if an exception to credit can be granted. A lender is required to obtain documentation to support an approval of the loan request, based upon the criteria of Section 10.8. Documentation will be retained in a lenders permanent loan file.
Low credit score loan requests. A credit exception with supportive documentation confirming the circumstances leading to derogatory credit that attributed to the low credit
10-12 If the applicant has two scores, the lower of the two should be used as the representative score.
 If the applicant has a repeating score, that score will be utilized.
 If the applicant has one score, a NTMCR must be developed for manually
underwritten loans. Each applicant must be evaluated separately.
Indicators of unacceptable credit. The following indicators require documentation meeting the criteria of Section 10.8 to approve an applicant’s loan request for manually underwritten loans:
 Foreclosure within 3 years:
 Including pre-foreclosure activity, such as a pre-foreclosure sale or short sale
in the previous 3 years (refer to Attachment 10-B for additional guidance);
 Bankruptcy within 3 years:
 Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged in the previous 3 years;
 An elapsed period of less than 3 years, but not less than 12 months, may be acceptable if the applicant meets the criteria of Section 10.8 of this Chapter.
 Chapter 13 bankruptcy that has yet to complete repayment (repayment plan in progress) or has completed payment in the most recent 12 months.
 Plans that are completed for 12 months or greater do not require a credit exception in accordance with Section 10.8;
 Late mortgage payments if any mortgage trade line during the most recent 12 months shows 1 or more late payments of greater than 30 days.
 Late rent payments paid 30 or more days late within the last 12 months.
Lender actions when indicators of unacceptable credit are present on manually underwritten loans. When indicators of unacceptable credit are present and the lender proposes to approve a credit exception, the lender will refer to Section 10.8 of this Chapter to determine if an exception to credit can be granted. A lender is required to obtain documentation to support an approval of the loan request, based upon the criteria of Section 10.8. Documentation will be retained in a lenders permanent loan file.
Low credit score loan requests. A credit exception with supportive documentation confirming the circumstances leading to derogatory credit that attributed to the low credit
10-12

HB-1-3555
score is required for all loans receiving a credit score of 639 or below. Circumstances must meet criteria, as outlined in Section 10.8 of this Chapter to be eligible for a credit exception. Loans with credit scores of 580 or below should not be approved.
Lender actions when inaccurate information is reported. Credit trade-lines that list the applicant as an “authorized user” cannot be considered in the underwriting decision unless another applicant in the mortgage transaction is the owner of the trade-line, or the owners of the trade-line is the spouse of an applicant, or the applicant can provide documented evidence that they have made the payments on the authorized user account for 12 months preceding application. Refer to Section 10.12 of this Chapter for further guidance.
Lender actions when collections are reported. Lenders will follow guidance in Section 10.9 when collections are reported on the credit report.
Lender actions when judgments are reported. Lenders will follow guidance in Section 10.10 when judgments are reported on the credit report. Applicants who have outstanding Federal judgments (other than IRS) that are open and unsatisfied are ineligible for the SFHGLP. Applicants who have an IRS tax debt are ineligible if a repayment plan is not underway. If a repayment plan is underway, the lender will determine if the repayment plan meets the criteria of a credit exception in accordance with Section 10.8 of this Chapter.
Lender actions when disputed accounts are reported. Lenders will follow guidance in Section 10.11 when an applicant has disputed tradeline references.
Obtaining rental history for manually underwritten loans. Lenders will follow Section 10.13 for guidance in obtaining rental history for manually underwritten loans. Loan requests with validated credit scores of 680 or greater are not subject to rental verification for manually underwritten loans.
Underwriting with no credit score. The use of non-traditional credit references as described in Section 10.6 of this handbook is acceptable if the applicant does not have a credit score, OR the credit score cannot be validated in accordance with Section 10.5 of this Chapter. If the required number of traditional or nontraditional tradelines cannot be documented, the loan is ineligible.
The lenders evaluation and conclusion that the credit reputation is acceptable. The lender’s underwriting decision to approve a mortgage must be based on an overall evaluation of the risks documented in the mortgage file. Underwriters must consider the entire credit profile of each applicant and not approve a loan based upon a single component. The lender may consider the strength of some components against the weakness of one component to arrive at a conclusion. The lender must document the evaluation in the lender’s permanent mortgage file. Whenever there is evidence of layered risk, more conservative underwriting standards must be utilized.
(03-09-16) SPECIAL PN 10-13
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what the above boils down to is you have a much easier time if your score is above 640.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We found our lender via Rd.usda.gov and their list of approved lenders for our state.

High utilization did not matter for our file but we reduced our housing payments 300.00 a month by purchasing versus renting so zero payment shock. My wife was not in the loan at all as she has high student loans and is a stay at home mom currently. All of my scores were over 660 at underwriting.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied a month ago for a guuaranteed loan and was not able to get one.  My scores are 649 631 609.  I have no late payments in the past 3 years.  I went though full underwriting.  They said no because I didn't have 2 tradelines with a 12 month history.  My student loans are 10 years old but they would not count them.  And i had a dispute comment listed on a collection account that i have to get removed.  Your income should be fine depending on where you are and they will not run your wifes credit if she isn't going to be on the loan. 

Message 9 of 16
jg1983
Regular Contributor

If I don't have my wife on the loan can I still use her income for figuring the dti ratio?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.