Did you mean: 

Changes to FHA/USDA - Mel Watt's comments

tag
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

Changes to FHA/USDA - Mel Watt's comments

Any more info or thoughts on this?

Excerpt:

[Mel Watt] . . .  announced on Tuesday they would shift strategies by making credit more available to homeowners.

Watt will therefore relax the payment history requirements for banks to get relief from buybacks and also get more clarity on which loans have passed a "quality control."

The moves appear to signal that Watt is placing more emphasis on credit eligibility, while his predecessor focused on protecting and shrinking Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Watt's announcements could reduce costs for both banks and borrowers.

In another move to open up credit to first-time homebuyers specifically, HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan announced a new four-year pilot program at the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) starting this fall. The FHA is the government mortgage insurer for low down payment loans.

Under the program, first-time homebuyers who commit to credit counseling will qualify for reduced FHA insurance premiums on their loans. For the average FHA loan balance of $180,000these reductions, according to Donovan, can add up to roughly $10,000 in savings over the life of the loan.

Starting Score: 2/2013 EQ 535
Current Score My Fico: 5/23 EQ 808| EX 812 | TU 800
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Changes to FHA/USDA - Mel Watt's comments

@songsofexperience wrote:

Any more info or thoughts on this?

Excerpt:

[Mel Watt] . . .  announced on Tuesday they would shift strategies by making credit more available to homeowners.

Watt will therefore relax the payment history requirements for banks to get relief from buybacks and also get more clarity on which loans have passed a "quality control."

The moves appear to signal that Watt is placing more emphasis on credit eligibility, while his predecessor focused on protecting and shrinking Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Watt's announcements could reduce costs for both banks and borrowers.

In another move to open up credit to first-time homebuyers specifically, HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan announced a new four-year pilot program at the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) starting this fall. The FHA is the government mortgage insurer for low down payment loans.

Under the program, first-time homebuyers who commit to credit counseling will qualify for reduced FHA insurance premiums on their loans. For the average FHA loan balance of $180,000these reductions, according to Donovan, can add up to roughly $10,000 in savings over the life of the loan.

Announce? They're always "announcing" stuff in Washington but nothing ever comes of it. FHA's Back To Work program is not new as it was "announced" last year. Try finding a lender to do a loan under that program. I'm not impressed.

Message 2 of 8
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I would like to see "PMI not for the life of the loan"

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 3 of 8
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

@ ezdriver: This isn't the Back to Work Program - it's a new initiative. But sure, I hear you. I think the problem is that a lot of lenders have been afraid of the Back to Work Program and that's a failure on a number of levels.

Some people have had success with the Back to Work Program - there are stories on the fora.

Message 4 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Time to buy stock in HUD approved counseling agencies.

It is still relatively easy to qualify for a mortgage these days.  It's not as easy as it was back in 2003-2008, but look where that got us.  I'd like to see lower MI premiums on FHA, as that has only directly helped the reserves of FHA (which they said they need in order to stay solvent), perhaps even change it to a score based system like they once had for a short period of time... the higher the score, the cheaper the MI (like conventional).

But remember, those who forget the past are bound to repeat it (or however that goes).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@ ezdriver: This isn't the Back to Work Program - it's a new initiative. But sure, I hear you. I think the problem is that a lot of lenders have been afraid of the Back to Work Program and that's a failure on a number of levels.

Some people have had success with the Back to Work Program - there are stories on the fora.

I know that. My point is that programs are announced all the time and nothing comes of it. Did you read the part are lenders' overlays? Therein lies the real problem. Lenders pick the low-hanging fruit [aka FHA loans] and don't serve many borrowers who meet the FHA's guidelines. It took me three months to identify a source for the Back To Work counselling. I am a mortgage applicant on that program by the way so I'm using it as an example. In other words, its nothing to write home about. Call me cynical.

Message 6 of 8
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

"Cynical."

Smiley Tongue

No - I agree with you. I think these programs rarely do what they think they'll do.

It's frustrating to hear so few lenders are working with the Back to Work program. I stopped payments on my mortgage in 2010, after being out of work for a year and exhausting my savings so as to not default on the loan (and spending $3k to repaint the exterior when I tried to sell). The lender refused to work with me (I kept all the emails back and forth) and they didn't foreclose until 2 years after I contacted them for help and stopped paying. So I'm still within the three year window and I do meet the extenuating circumstances. I found a job a few months after I stopped paying and moved 1500 miles and am now about to start my 5th year with that company. I haven't yet started looking for a lender to work with me.

Message 7 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

"Cynical."

Smiley Tongue

No - I agree with you. I think these programs rarely do what they think they'll do.

It's frustrating to hear so few lenders are working with the Back to Work program. I stopped payments on my mortgage in 2010, after being out of work for a year and exhausting my savings so as to not default on the loan (and spending $3k to repaint the exterior when I tried to sell). The lender refused to work with me (I kept all the emails back and forth) and they didn't foreclose until 2 years after I contacted them for help and stopped paying. So I'm still within the three year window and I do meet the extenuating circumstances. I found a job a few months after I stopped paying and moved 1500 miles and am now about to start my 5th year with that company. I haven't yet started looking for a lender to work with me.

I feel your pain. Similar situation with me. Got sick of Wells Fargo not wanting to work with me on a payment plan so I walked away from the house in early 2010. They foreclosed immediately. I filed ch7 in late 2012 and received discharge one year ago. I meet all of the requirements of the Back To Work program but the lenders are adding their own requirements on top ... making it very difficult to get through the process. My new home is being built and will be complete in mid-June. If I don't secure a mortgage under this program, I will go back to renting and retry in April of next year when my discharge would be two years old. Arrrrgggggg!

From hud.gov website...

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy (liquidation) does not disqualify a borrower from obtaining an FHA mortgage if at least two years have elapsed since the date of the discharge of the bankruptcy. Additionally, the borrower must have re-established good credit or chosen not to incur new credit obligations. The borrower also must have demonstrated a documented ability to responsibly manage his or her financial affairs. An elapsed period of less than two years, but not less than 12 months, may be acceptable if the borrower can show that the bankruptcy was caused by extenuating circumstances beyond his or her control and has since exhibited a documented ability to manage his or her financial affairs in a responsible manner. Additionally, the lender must document that the borrower's current situation indicates that the events that led to the bankruptcy are not likely to recur. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.