Did you mean: 

Charge Cards and DTI?

tag
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

Re: Charge Cards and DTI?

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

My LO said they use the minimum payment for DTI, regardless of the balance.  Even a 0 balance will require the minimum payment on a revolving account to be used in a DTI calculation.

thats interesting because i asked that question on here not to long ago and was told that if i had no balance it was excluded..... hmmm

Ugh I really hope they won't add up the min on cards that are paid off to 0. My Amazon is min payment of $25 ... that could really add up if you have quite a few cards?

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 11 of 34
chan85
Established Contributor

@courtney091082 wrote:

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

My LO said they use the minimum payment for DTI, regardless of the balance.  Even a 0 balance will require the minimum payment on a revolving account to be used in a DTI calculation.

thats interesting because i asked that question on here not to long ago and was told that if i had no balance it was excluded..... hmmm

Ugh I really hope they won't add up the min on cards that are paid off to 0. My Amazon is min payment of $25 ... that could really add up if you have quite a few cards?

I know! I was waiting to have all my cards paid all the way off, just have 2 more to go by the end of this month, and then was planning to apply so they wouldn't count towards the DTI. I have like 8 cards, most at zero balances!!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 12 of 34
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

@chan85 wrote:

@courtney091082 wrote:

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

I know! I was waiting to have all my cards paid all the way off, just have 2 more to go by the end of this month, and then was planning to apply so they wouldn't count towards the DTI. I have like 8 cards, most at zero balances!!

You're right 8 cards could add up and imagine someone with like 10-20 cards...that could be 200-300 on just minimums. That just doesn't seem right Smiley Mad

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 13 of 34
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

We can get different opinions here but the only opinion that matters is the lender's. What does your LO say about all this? That's the bottom line.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

$1 minimum and zero balance will likely yield the same effect. HAhHahaaa

Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a zero balance on any cards and you have to pay a minimum or $25 you need to run like hell.

Message 16 of 34
chan85
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

We can get different opinions here but the only opinion that matters is the lender's. What does your LO say about all this? That's the bottom line.

Very true. I am trying to get myself in the right position to qualify for a loan. I am using my states Dream Home Loan program and they have a list of lenders and LO's on their site, I may need to start doing some kinda interviews to see which ones best meet my needs, i.e. not counting zero balance cards.

i just added up my min payments on all my cards and if they count them, i will probably never qualify on my salary..... Smiley Sad My front end is 19 and my back end even with a $550 mortgage i would be at 44......

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 17 of 34
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have a zero balance on any cards and you have to pay a minimum or $25 you need to run like hell.

Lol I only pay the minimum if I have a balance on there. But a few posts up it said they add up your minimums...even if there is a 0 balance. Sounds off to me, but who knows I haven't started my loan process just yet. 

Message 18 of 34
chan85
Established Contributor

@chan85 wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@chan85 wrote:

@thankfulheart wrote:

Very true. I am trying to get myself in the right position to qualify for a loan. I am using my states Dream Home Loan program and they have a list of lenders and LO's on their site, I may need to start doing some kinda interviews to see which ones best meet my needs, i.e. not counting zero balance cards.

i just added up my min payments on all my cards and if they count them, i will probably never qualify on my salary..... Smiley Sad My front end is 19 and my back end even with a $550 mortgage i would be at 44......

And there is STILL no telling how my Amex bill will play into all this!!!

Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 19 of 34
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

It actually makes sense to me. So you get your pretty home loan, then decide to outfit your new house with furniture on your credit cards and rack them up again, hence those payments are dragging on your ability to pay back your loan. Sure, they have no control over credit you obtain after, but for due diligence, it makes sense to consider the potential minimums.
Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.