cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking my credit too even though I'm not on mortgage??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checking my credit too even though I'm not on mortgage??

I live in Nevada, and my husband was just going to be on the mortgage loan as he has the income. I do not currently work but do get a small amount each month for VA disability. I was just looking at the message boards and found that they will pull my credit report and add up my monthly debt (4 cc payments that are less than my VA disability money, studnet loans currently deffered because still doing my masters degree) to my husbands DTI? This would put us to 50% DTI. I'm pretty sure USAA would deny us if this happens. Is this what still happens in Nevada?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Checking my credit too even though I'm not on mortgage??

Nevada is a community property state.Your debt has to be included in his ratios

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in Nevada, and my husband was just going to be on the mortgage loan as he has the income. I do not currently work but do get a small amount each month for VA disability. I was just looking at the message boards and found that they will pull my credit report and add up my monthly debt (4 cc payments that are less than my VA disability money, studnet loans currently deffered because still doing my masters degree) to my husbands DTI? This would put us to 50% DTI. I'm pretty sure USAA would deny us if this happens. Is this what still happens in Nevada?

Yes, as S10 pointed out, Nevada is a community property state. That means that as far as assets and debts are concerned a married couple is looked at as one person. There really is no such thing as "his" debts or "her" debts or your "husband's DTI". All debt will be calculated as joint DTI - in some cases including a % of your deferred student loans.

There isn't much you can do about the deferred student loan issue, but do not be surprised if your lender calculates 1-2% of your deferred student loans into your DTI. The one thing you can do is get rid of the 4 cc payments before your husband applies for the mortgage loan.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, as S10 pointed out, Nevada is a community property state. That means that as far as assets and debts are concerned a married couple is looked at as one person. There really is no such thing as "his" debts or "her" debts or your "husband's DTI". All debt will be calculated as joint DTI - in some cases including a % of your deferred student loans.

There isn't much you can do about the deferred student loan issue, but do not be surprised if your lender calculates 1-2% of your deferred student loans into your DTI. The one thing you can do is get rid of the 4 cc payments before your husband applies for the mortgage loan.

USAA said they either take the payment listed on my credit report or 1% of each loan balance if currently deferred. We are going to wait, pay down cc debt and then when I finish my master's degree, consolidate my loans and then I will have one monthly payment listed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.