I make 12,500 a month
My current debt is 3 car payments 455 each so total of 1365

A personal loan for 396 and a person loan for 274

About 250 in credit payments

I applied for a mortgage loan for a condo through citi bank

My mortgage if accepted will be 950 a month

So that brings a total debt of 2985

So my debt to income ratio is 23%

For the downpayment I'm getting a gift as I don't cash my checks in the bank due to identity theft so they have no money to source as I just can't deposit money and show them I have it. As you know it has to be seasoned. They accepted the gift funds.

The underwriter has cleared all my docs and is waiting to review the appraisal on Tuesday as it was already done. If that's approved then we go to close. Now here's my concern, when I first applied for the loan my loan officer said this credit is good for 120 days and we won't run it again. I figured I'll use my credit cards for some major purchases around 12,000 dollars.

All I remember was my loan officer said don't run your credit or obtain any new credit. Never did he mention don't use your current credit cards. Now I'm reading online that using your current credit cards can red flag the loan. When I asked my loan officer is that going to be a problem, he said no some times they don't run a soft credit check prior to closing and if they do, it won't be a problem because the soft credit check will only check for new inquiries or new credit obtained. He said it won't show balances. I'm not sure if I can take his word for it. My question is since I used 12,000 dollars in credit since my application and if they do see the increase in balances, will that be an issue. Keep in mind my debt to income ratio before using 12k was only at 23% and from my understanding citi allows up to 43%. I'm thinking the underwriter can see I ran so much credit and get worried and deny the loan, or he might even think I ran my credit to take out funds for the gift funds which is not the case. Either way what can you guys tell me or if anyone knows how Citi works as far as soft pulls before closing. Is it always going to be a guaranteed soft pull or could it be like the loan officer said where it's random selective pulls before closing not always. Would it matter if I ran my credit cards for 12k with such a low debt to income ratio where it wouldn't affect it?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi mortgage loan question

If the soft pull shows your minimum payments due on all your current open and active credit cards has increased it's likely (and possible) that they may change your #s that are calculating in your current DTI to ensure your DTI is still at an Accept/Eligible level for the Automated Underwriting System.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay my debt to income ratio is 23% if the soft pull does show higher minimum payments and let's say it takes me to 26% dti, can they deny the loan for running my credit 12k during the process as a red flag?
Message 3 of 4
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

not likely, no. 

Naturally, a lender can deny a loan for a multitude of reasons as long as they remain in compliance with all federal laws and what not, but in my opinion you're not likely to see that occur here in this instance.   

Banks like to make money and they make money when the lend money so more often than not, they're going to proceed when they are able.  

I don't think you should worry.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.