Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CitiBank vs. CitiFinancial???

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

CitiBank vs. CitiFinancial???

What's the difference between citibank and citifinancial? Is one more lenient than the other? 
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: CitiBank vs. CitiFinancial???

CitiFinancial is the "consumer finance" division of CitiCorp -- generally easier to get, higher rates, etc. Be aware that, as with any consumer finance company, a loan from CitiFinancial can have a negative impact on your FICO score whereas a credit card from CitiBank (if paid on time and low utilization) can have a positive impact on your FICO score.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

While I was in a DMP, they sent me a "pre-approval" offer even though I had a Citibank Visa card in the DMP.  Cant get any more subprime then that.

Never get a CFL,  unless it is your last resort over a worse credit problem.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both have the same loans, just interest rates. Try to stay away from anything that says "Financial" and stick with "Bank". You could pay 10% more interest. But if you are desperate you need to do what your situation dictates. A consolidation loan from Financial or Bank is still consumer finance. If you are forced to go to a Financial do your best to have it titled a NON Consumer Finance loan if at all possible.

Citi runs separate corps so they can offer subprime products separately from their prime bank products. If they offered subprime and prime together they would probably be labeled overall subprime.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 04-19-2008 09:25 AM
Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

As the others said, avoid CFL's if you can, but although there is a ding associated with them, they do help overall if you pay in a timely manner and so forth. In other words, they're not completely negative.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.