cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citifinancial a consumer finance co? Is that a bad hit on my CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citifinancial a consumer finance co? Is that a bad hit on my CR?

Citifinancial has our 2nd mortgage (due to be paid off in two weeks -yay!)  Are they a consumer finance co?  How can I tell - I understand that consumer finance co's are a bad hit on my CR?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Citifinancial a consumer finance co? Is that a bad hit on my CR?

Multiple consumer finance loans are a small hit. I don't know that there's a hit for just one. If there is, it's a small one.

Per Barry, it's not so much a hit as less beneficial than a standard loan --which to me sounds like a hit! Smiley Very Happy

It's hard to tell when something is scored as a CFL. Typically, the lender has "financial" as part of its name, but not all of their products are CFL's. I would think that yours, being a secured loan, would not, but there's just no telling --we don't see the codes on the consumer versions of our reports.

You can try calling and asking how they code it. Expect to be met with bafflement, though. This is a tiny, weird little subcategory of credit that most folks in the lending industry know nothing about.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes - that helps a ton.  So if we're considering a 2nd mortgage, we may be better off checking with our local CU first - we were thinking of checking with Citifinancial since they gave us our first one.  CFL's are a new idea to me - your response was a great help.  And a local CU would report better than a CFL.  Get it.  Glad to learn these things - and later is better than never!
Message 3 of 4
MattH
Senior Contributor

@utah2009 wrote:

Citifinancial has our 2nd mortgage (due to be paid off in two weeks -yay!)  Are they a consumer finance co?  How can I tell - I understand that consumer finance co's are a bad hit on my CR?

I have one CitiFinancial TL on my reports, from when the A/C died shortly after my wife and I put most of our cash into the downpayment on our residence, which we paid off pretty quickly.  My scores are in my sig block, and you can see that if I am getting a hit from the CitiFinancial TL then it must be a small hit.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.